Heart murmur?

iVillage Member
Heart murmur?
Tue, 02-24-2004 - 4:49pm

I went to my doctor yesterday for a routine physical.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
In reply to: ali61780
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 3:05pm
Hi Alison,

Rest assured that chances are extremely good that you are fine! Heart murmurs are quite common and affect about 1 in 10 people. Lots of people have them and don't even know it. I was born with a heart murmur, but had an extremely rare case where there was also a septal defect for which I required surgery.

The most common type of murmur is a Mitral Valve Prolapse, which is the one that I have. Eighty percent of people with this lead 100% normal lives. Twenty percent experience non-life threatening symptoms, that may SEEM threatening at times, but aren't! Symptoms include racing heartbeat, heart "flutters", shortness of breath, dizziness/fainting spells, cold hands and feet, IBS, depression and anxiety.

You have a good doctor, since most would simply dismiss a murmur as being "normal", and nothing to worry about. But the small chance that complications could arise is still there, so it never hurts to be checked out.

Let us know how your echo turns out. You are not alone!