Newly diagnosed w/ Mitral Valve Prolapse

iVillage Member
Newly diagnosed w/ Mitral Valve Prolapse
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 10:59am

Hi, all. I am 24 and was just diagnosed last week with Mitral Valve Prolapse and needless to say, I'm scared! My mother has it, so she has been great--but it's still very scary. I went into the ER thinking I was having a panic attack and left with a heart condition diagnosis. I'm scheduled to have an echo done, and until I can be seen by a cardiologist, my doctor has prescribed Inderal. I'm taking it 3 times a day.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect with this condition or some tips on how to cope with it. I get very panicky when I have PVCs. Will I have to stay on medication for the rest of my life?

Thanks in advance for any support you can give.

Laura

Mad Men siggie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2004 - 10:57pm

Hi Laura,

I could only find a little information on MVP here on iVillage which apparently is also known as a heart murmur.

IVHealth Ruth Ann
Community Leader/Ask the Health Librarian

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2004 - 9:38am
Hi Laura,

I have had Mitral Valve Prolapse for years and was told from the beginning that it is not dangerous. The only way it has affected me is having to take an antibotic an hour before a dental appointment. Putting two and two together, after reading other posts to your listing, it might also be responsible for my recent heart palpitations, but I have been told they are not dangerous. After the initial diagnosis and a few months of being a little uptight about it, I totally forgot about it, remembering only when my dentist reminded me to take the antibotics.

I know that it makes you nervous, but from my experience and what I have read, it is nothing to be concerned about. It will not affect what you can do or how hard you can do it. I exercise as hard as anyone else with no adverse reactions. Of course, the bottom line is to get it throughly checked out by a doctor and follow his advice, but from my own personal experience with living with the diagnosis myself, it has not been a problem through the 30 or so years I have known I had it.

The best to you!!

Betty

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2004 - 1:14pm
Why on earth was my post deleted (message #3 in this thread)??? Was it because I posted a link to another message board??

I thought that was allowed - I've seen it on other iVillage boards!