just a few rookie questions

iVillage Member
just a few rookie questions
Mon, 03-08-2004 - 4:55pm
Hi there,

I'm a 21 year old female. I just had a physical examination done where I was informed that I had a heart murmur. This was news to me and a little disconcerting seeing as heart disease runs in my family.

My doctor could hear the murmur close to my heart and up the right side of my neck. From the bit of reading that I've done, I think it has to do with the aortic valve. My Dr said that it wasn't sealing properly from what he could tell. Regurgitation? I'm scheduled to see a cardiologist and have an EKG done.

It's hard to know what to think I guess. I know that many people have innocent murmurs that cause them no problems, but I just don't know enough at this point to say. Sometimes I have terrible pains, but I always attributed it to IBS or endometriosis. Now I realize it may be something different.

I am guessing it is most likely that I am fine. Is that accurate or should I prepare myself for something else? If it is serious, can medication help this sort of thing, or is the solution something more like valve replacement?

Thanks a lot

Tricia