Signs of a Heart Attack/Heart Disease?

iVillage Member
Signs of a Heart Attack/Heart Disease?
Tue, 04-13-2004 - 11:18pm
Hi Everyone I'm new here. I am 26 years old and I have a strong family history of heart attacks/ heart disease. For example, my mom recently passed away from a heart attack. Similarly, both of my mom's parents died from heart related illnesses. Even my mom's grandmother dies of one too! It should be noted that obesity runs rampant on her side of the family as well. . . .

Anyway, obviously I'm concerned that this may happen to me too so I'm trying to prevent it. I currently walk a minimum os 2 1/2 miles 3 times a week, I'm watching my diet (i.e I don't eat salt and I'm minimizing my saturated fat intake, and I'm even thinking about taking aspirin on a daily basis.

However, for the past few years I've noticed occasional *sharp pains* on the left side of my chest that always goes away when I pass gas. Should I be concerned about this? Is this a sign of an impending heart attack or heart disease? I've asked my Doctor this same question during my last physical a few years ago and he said that it was probably stress related. He listened to my heart rhythm and said that it was normal. He also administered an EKG and the results were negative . . .

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:26pm

Donna,

I understand your fear and concern.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:30pm

Donna,

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member