Looking for some support....

iVillage Member
Looking for some support....
Tue, 04-27-2004 - 2:15am
Hi, my name is Kylie and I am 35 and a bit scared right now....looking for a little support from some people who might understand how I feel right now. I have Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome and a bicuspid aortic valve. As a child I had trouble with WPW and was on digoxin for years, but eventually "outgrew" it, or so I thought. I haven't had any problems for years, until the past few months. Lately, I have been having very painful heart palpitations and small runs of V-tach (I am also an RN, so I'm sorry if I start using medical terms too much...please let me know if I do that) and also numbness and tingling in my hands, feet and lips. My hands and feet are swelling and I'm getting shortness of breath sometimes. I see a cardiologist tomorrow, and I am terrified that I'm going into heart failure and/or need a valve replacement. I have always known that a valve replacement was possible sometime in my future, but I always hoped that it would be in the FAR future, you know? The surgery doesn't worry me near as much as the fact that I am the main money maker of our family, and how could we possibly afford it??

Thanks for letting me vent...It helps to let me get it out!

Kylie

~kylie~
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2004 - 3:28pm

Kylie,

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2004 - 9:42pm

Kylie!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2004 - 2:40am
Hi, Laura!

I'll tell you, I was so disgusted with that doctor, I could have just spit! He just blew me off, and told me I was too young to have heart problems! How do you like that? Jerk! They did a 12-lead EKG and an Echo, and told me they would call me that day with the results, and I never heard back from them. I even called them twice and they never called me back! I guess they figure they couldn't cut me open and make a ton of money off of me or something...you can bet I'll never go back to him again!!!

The tech said my echo didn't look too bad, that my aortic valve was bicuspid (I knew that) and it leaked a little, but not bad. As for the WPW, I still have episodes of that, but he blew that off completely. He acted like he didn't even believe me. I've had that since I was a kid, I was on digoxin for years for it...he was mad because I grew up in the military and couldn't get him the records on it. The military has a funny way of not letting you have those once you aren't a military dependent anymore. My sister also has WPW and had surgery for it about 8 years ago for it...they went into an artery in her leg up into her heart and "fried" the defective part. It worked for years, but I guess recently she is starting to have problems with it again.

What kind of surgery did you have done?

Kylie

~kylie~
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2004 - 3:02pm

Girl I hear you.