Palpitations And Stomach Weakness

iVillage Member
Palpitations And Stomach Weakness
Sat, 05-15-2004 - 9:07pm
Help! I'm a 43 year old, African American man in good shape. I exercise 5 times a week and try like heck to eat right. My cholesterol level is 166 and other than a high homocystine level (21), my doctors think I'm not at risk for any heart related problems.

I have had palpitations since age 15. I had gotten used to them over the years and generally did not worry about them. About 8 months ago, I started having severe stomach pain, a few chest flutters, and pain that radiated to my upper back. The sensation would last for a few seconds and then go away. Afterwards, I'd feel sweaty and weak, but never short or out of breath. Those violent stomach problems stopped, but lately, I've been feeling back pain underneath my left shoulder blade. Sometimes this pain radiates to my stomach and at times, I have a feeling of congestion on the left side of my chest and weakness. I've never passed out or had chest pains, but this weakness is really starting to worry me.

I've seen 14 different doctors in the last 5 months and have made several trips to the emergency room. I've had a stress echo done, several EKGs, dozens of chest x-rays and heart enzyme tests. All normal. I wore a 24 hour holter monitor some years ago and it showed nothing. I recently had a heart doppler test done in April 2004 and that showed nothing. My heart muscle is normal size, there is no thickness, no signs of blockages, and no problem, according to the doctors, with the valves. They also rule out aortic and abdominal aneuryms, which I was worried about. I take Atenol/chlorthal for palpitations, folic acid to lower the homocystine levels, and an asprin three times a week as a precaution. I also take Bromocriptine to lower elevated prolactin levels. I did test positive for H. Pylori bacteria, which was treated. I now take Protonix to help with that. The cardiologist with my health plan says he's not going to schedule me for any more tests because he says nothing's wrong with me. I don't know.

Should I continue to investigate this? Get an MRI or CAT Scan? Besides the off and on pain underneath my left shoulder blade, and weakness, I generally feel great.

Renardo Johnson

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2004 - 4:59pm

Renardo,

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2004 - 5:43pm
Thanks for your warm welcome.

I ended up going to the emergnecy room of another hospital last night and there, they performed the CT Scan. I am happy to report that they saw no aneurysm. Because of a high creatinine level (1.6), they were not able to do the contrast CT Scan. However, they say they felt pretty sure they didn't see anything.

Now, my doctor and I are working on the high creatinine level. The doctors in the emergency room think it's the diuretic I've been on for the last 6 months. Since I exercise a lot, don't drink a lot of water and drink coca-cola like crazy, that seems to be most likely the problem.

Thanks again.

Renardo Johnson

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2004 - 1:13pm

Renardo,

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2004 - 7:50pm
Thanks again for your swift reply. You don't realize how much this website and your responses are keeping me sane.

I continue to be on edge. Everyone from my pastor to my dearest friends think I am crazy because I'm now having severe anxiety attacks over this. Again, I have had lots of tests done (stress echo, doppler, partial CT scan, blood enzyme tests, EKGs, and several x-rays) and every doctor continues to tell me nothing's wrong with me.

I continue to have back pains that seem to originate under my left shoulder blade and radiate to my stomach. At times, there's left arm pain, right shoulder aches, and twinges of pain in my chest. I continue to also feel what I describe as congestion a little to the left of my chest almost to my neck. Sometimes this feeling comes on after I've had palpitations. Sometimes it causes me to cough. Most times it comes quickly and then, goes away.

I don't know what else to do. Could the doctors be missing something? I seem to have had every test known to man with the exception of catherization. Oh, and I couldn't do the contrast CT scan because of the renal insufficiency problem. It's now resolved.

Can a valve problem that they are not seeing cause pain like I'm having? Just wondering.

Renardo Johnson

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2004 - 1:43pm

Renardo,

When they did your echo that would have detected any defect with a valve.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2004 - 6:38pm
I have similar symptoms and I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Have they ruled that out?