Husband had Bypass Surgery 5/8/04

iVillage Member
Husband had Bypass Surgery 5/8/04
Thu, 05-20-2004 - 5:32pm
Hi - I'm new to this message board. Have posted to others. My husband had bypass surgery on 5 arteries on May 8th (the two main arteries and three minor). Surgery went well and recovery is going okay (he thinks it should be faster). He was heavy smoker (2+ packs/day). Has been off cigarettes two weeks now (yeah)!! He is also overweight and diabetic. Has anyone been in this situation and can advise me on recovery time and the emotional ups and downs (more downs then ups).

Thanks for any help.

Mary

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2004 - 12:38am

Mary,

First of all welcome to this fine board of folks.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2004 - 9:39pm
Hi Cecelia - thanks for the support. I asked the cardiologist about rehab and he said 4-6 weeks down the road. He needed to recover first. He goes to the surgeon this thursday to get the staples out of his legs. Hopefully that will make him feel better. I know he needs to walk more then he does. I keep telling him, but he gets winded easily and the weather here in the northeast has turned brutually humid. It's suppose to break tomorrow. Hopefully he will get out and walk a couple times during the day. I have to work so he's here alone. Thanks again for the support. It's nice to be able to talk to someone about this.

Mary

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2004 - 3:04pm

Mary, you are so welcome.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2004 - 6:21pm
Cecilia - thanks again for the support. We just went to the surgeon today. My husband has a problem in that he is retaining too much fluid in his legs. They have tried a couple diuretics but they seem to upset his stomach to the point of vomiting which kills his chest. so he has to keep his legs elevated and STOP using salt. He is a very bad salt user!! He has to go back to the surgeon next week so hopefully they will be better by then. It really is hard to take everything that he likes away from him at one time, but on a positive note he hasn't smoked in 3 weeks and counting!! This is a big plus.

Thanks again for everything. Will let you know how we are doing.

Mary

PS he was very depressed that he couldn't attend our daughter's college graduation on Sunday but the weather was just so oppressive here. That was a big disappointment for him (she understood - but he didn't).

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2004 - 1:16pm

Mary,

The edema in the legs is a common problem post bypass.

Hugs,

Cecilia