chest pain

iVillage Member
chest pain
Tue, 06-01-2004 - 7:28pm
I went to Er today after a weekend of severe pain. For the last three days I have shortness of breath and progressively worsening chest pain until today it was so bad I could barely breath. They did a CT and did not find anything and did find my urine culture possitive so they are saying I had a kidney infection. I forgot to tell them at the hospital (my kids were with me) I have had a history with heart problems since I was 17. I was born with a murmur and around 17 had small minor heart flutters which turned into fainting and heart pain. I was on a halter and had an echo and was told that I would need to lay off the caffine (was in colloege and working full time)and it looked like really minor angina. I quit caffine and three years later experienced the same symptoms this time after the echo they said I would need to take an attibiotic before surgery or seeing the dentist. I am now 27 and for the last few months I have had heart palpatations and a few panic attacks where I thought I was going to die my heart was pounding so hard. I took my ecg with me todaty and it reads"right axis deviation". I see a follow up next monday
iVillage Member
In reply to: minimaw
Wed, 06-02-2004 - 1:29pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2004 - 6:33pm
Hi,

I've never posted here before but I was lurking and saw your post. I have had the same symptoms as you for about 3 months now. i've actually gone to the ER about 3 times, had 2 chest e-rays, numerous ekg's, blood enzyme, an echocardiogram and holter monitor. I finally requested a referral to see a cardiologist a few weeks ago and he diagnosed me with Mitral Valve prolapse and said it is very common for people with MVP to experience panic attacks. I never had these problems before 3 months ago and I'm not under any more stress than usual, in fact I have less stress in my life now than I've had in the past. I was also told no caffeine, no chocolate or stimulants of any kind, get cardio exercise at least 4 times per week and stay hydrated. He also prescribed a beta blocker which is supposed to keep your autonomic nervous system from going off at the wrong times and causing palpitations. It is supposed to lower your heart rate. I haven't taken it yet :(

because I'm afraid of the possible side effects. i am very leery about taking medications. He said MVP improves with age and is not life threatening but that it should be monitored and treated.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2004 - 2:10pm

Chickaloo,

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-13-2004 - 1:39pm
Hi Cecilia, Thanks for your advice. The med he prescribed is called Toprol-XL. One of the major reasons I am afraid to take it is because my husband and I are not currently using birth control because it raises my blood pressure. We also are not against the idea of having another child and so aren't always careful in that regard. I worry that this could be harmful if I were to get pregnant and it said you have to be gradually weaned off of it or a heart attack could occur. I have never regularly taken medication for anything before (so am very cautious about it). I will call my doc tomorrow and let him know my concerns. Thank you for the welcome.

Danielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2004 - 12:33am

Danielle,

I can understand your concern.

Hugs,

Cecilia