Sharp pains in chest...

iVillage Member
Sharp pains in chest...
Mon, 06-07-2004 - 6:28pm
I was wondering if I should be concerned? The past few days I have been having sharp shooting pains in my chest (left breast area) that last for like a second then go away (the pain lasts for about a second but the whole "episode" lasts about 5 minutes or so).

Right now it is not happening severely but I feel dizzy and I am aware of my heart. My chest isn't overly heavy - but I am just aware of my heart and my rib cage on the left side of my body.

What the heck is going on and should I be overly concerned?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2004 - 2:17pm

Hadlbran,

First of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 7:29pm

I had an episode similar to that a year ago.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2004 - 4:06am
I experienced what you have almost 2 years ago. Since then I have been informed of what they are. Mine is arthritis. There are joints in your ribcage, which run right over your heart. That's so when CPR is performed, the chest cavity collapses enough to jump-start the heart. I had the sharp shooting pains, clutched my chest, was out of breath, and dizzy. The ER performed an EKG and a chest x-ray, and found very inflamed ribs. I was only 28, but since I already have a heart problem (supra-ventricular tachycardia, otherwise known as atrial flutter), I wasn't going to be too careful. I just found out yesterday (June 10, 04), that I recently had a mild heart attack, but I experienced no symptoms. I'm just really tired lately. One way to tell if the pain in your chest is heart related or just arthritis, push hard in the area that it happens most. If you can create the same pain, then it's arthritis. If you don't create the same kind of sharp, shooting pain, then talk to your doc definitely. Either way, a trip to the doc might ease your mind. Hope this helps.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2004 - 12:52am

Yes, muscular skeletal symptoms can mimic heart problems as can gastric symptoms.

Hugs,

Cecilia