what's next?

iVillage Member
what's next?
Mon, 06-14-2004 - 2:52pm
My 50 year old husband just had a major heart attack six days ago. He had a stent put in, but the doctor says he has another major blockage and two smaller blockages. They want to give him some time to recuperate from the heart attack before they address the other blockages. The doctor feels he can easily put a stent in the major blackage, but the other two are hard to get to and he doesn't feel like he can reach them. Does anyone know what the next step would be when something like this happens?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2004 - 6:09pm

Harley,

First of all, I am sorry about your husband having a major heart attack.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2004 - 2:07pm
Thanks Cecilia,

Yesterday marked two weeks since my husband's heart attack. Over the last two or three days, my husband has started having some chest pains again. We called his cardiologist and he wanted him to come back in for another EKG. The doctor feels like he is either starting to have some problems with the stent or the other blockages are starting to cause some problems. The pains are nothing like when he had his heart attack, but he says they are really annoying. He sometimes has to take two or three nitro pills before the pain will stop. The doctor told him he did not want to go back in yet since it has only been two weeks. He says it can sometimes take up to two months before they know if there are going to be problems with the stent and they don't want to do another stent and then have the first one fail and then have to go back in again. The doctor put him on nitro patches, but this is all really scaring me. Even today, after starting on the patch, he is having some chest pains and some abdominal pain. He also has problems with his stomach and isn't sure if it is from that or something else. Could the nitro patches be causing these types of side affects? My husband is afraid he is going to die, but he puts on a strong front and won't actually tell me that. He wants to start getting everything in order "just in case". I try to tell him that that is not going to happen, but the truth is I don't know that.

He is scheduled to start cardiac rehab on Monday, but do you think this is a wise thing to do right now? I didn't think to ask the doctor when we were there yesterday.

I appreciate all the help and advise you can give me. You don't know how much it means to be able to share my feelings with someone. It has been very stressful since the heart attack and I can't help but worry all the time. We also have a 15 year old daughter I have to think about. I try not to think about the "what ifs" but I know it is something we have to face. Nothing is for certain anymore and we are taking one day at a time.

I look forward to your replay.

Thanks,

Sheila

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2004 - 11:56am

Sheila,

In some cases the stent does not take like they want it to.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-27-2004 - 4:34pm
Cecilia,

I’m glad to know that chest pain in not so uncommon after a heart attack. My husband thinks he should be getting better, but it’s not happening fast enough for him. He has chest pain every day and he says he can feel his heart flutter several times a day. Is this common, too? We’ve also been concerned about his blood pressure. Last weekend it dropped to 98 over 46 and today it was at 116 over 40. After he got up and moved around it went back up to 116 over 54. But still, isn’t this too low? Shouldn’t we be concerned about this? My husband says he just feels drained all the time. Absolutely, no energy!

We start cardiac rehab tomorrow, maybe they can help shed some light on all this. The doctors all seem so hard to talk to and it is all so confusing about what is normal and what we should expect. I really think they should have someone you can talk to and tell you what you can expect after a heart attack. My husband says his biggest fear right now is that his heart will stop during the night or that he will have another heart attack. He doesn’t think he would survive another one., especially so soon.

Thanks for your help,

Sheila

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2004 - 7:52am
Sheila, I have no words of wisdom or advice but please know you and your husband will be in my prayers. Please let us know how the rehab is going. Hugs
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2004 - 1:48pm

Sheila,

It is not common to have chest pain all the time.

Hugs,

Cecilia