new here...finally seeing doc

iVillage Member
new here...finally seeing doc
Wed, 07-14-2004 - 12:06am
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I just wanted to share what I'm going through too see if anyone's gone through something similar.

About 8 years ago, I started fainting. Not often. It usually only happens about twice a year. When I experience it, I get very dizzy, have a cold sweat, my vision goes dark, and it sounds like I'm underwater. I feel like I'm breathing shallowly and sometimes, though not always, lose consciousness for a while (probably less than a minute). Except for one time, this has always happened during or shortly after a shower and, also with one exception, happened during my period.

Like an idiot, I never mentioned this to a doctor. About 9 months ago, I started experiencing a rapid heartbeat and some chest pain on the left side of my chest. The rapid heartbeat is triggered by caffeine but also sometimes happens when I have not had any caffeine. The chest pain is sharp, moderate in pain, and short in duration (about a minute).

I told my doctor about all this today and he has me wearing a 24 hour halter monitor. From the research I've done on-line the past few days, I think that I may have mitral valve prolapse. I wanted to check if anyone has had similar symptoms and whether they have mvp.

Thanks for reading my very long message!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2004 - 11:39am

The only correlation I can think of getting dizzy and faint after a shower is the vaso-constriction.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2004 - 1:40pm
Thanks, Cecilia. My primary doc hasn't gotten back to me about the results from the holter monitor, but I'll be sure to mention all my symptoms to the cardiologist I see and will ask him specifically about vaso-constriction. I appreciate that piece of info.

~Christina