Heart-feels like it flip-flops

iVillage Member
Heart-feels like it flip-flops
Wed, 07-14-2004 - 2:07pm
I try to exercise on a regular basis (one hour intervals - 3 to 5 times a week), but I have noticed lately that if I really exert myself and my heart rate goes up then it will feel like it does a flip flop-not constantly but intermittantly until my heart rate drops back to normal. It is a very strange feeling and I wonder if it is something that I should be concerned about. I am 46 years old and within my weight range for my height. There is heart disease in my family.

Any help or advice would be great. Thank you.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-17-2004 - 11:35am

First of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2004 - 11:58am
It could be something to be concerned about, especially with your family history. Get to a cardiologist. They can have you wear a holter monitor (excuse if I messed up spelling!) for 24 hours, and if the doctor recommends, they can do a stress test.

The holter monitor is lightweight and you could exercise while wearing it. There is even a button that you press when your heart is doing what you describe, so that when you give it back and the doctor reads the results, they notice the places that you pressed the button, and really take care reading those areas in particular ( I think it gives them a print out). You will feel better once you know what is going on.

But definetly go--I was a healthy 38-year old with no family history of heart problems when I had a heart attack!