heart arrythmia undiagnosed

iVillage Member
heart arrythmia undiagnosed
Sat, 08-14-2004 - 12:22pm
If there is anyone out there who has had a similar problem, I would like to hear from you. Several months ago I was diagnosed with bradycardia with the lowest rate being 45 at rest and 70-80 with activity. They did nuclear perfusion stress test, Halter monitor and numerous EKGs. All the tests were negative and my ejection fraction was 60%. They also did cardiac catheterization, which was also negative study. I was cleared for surgery for a tummy tuck. That was done on June 29, 2004. Then on July 20 I had to have a second surgery to repair a seroma that had developed. After the surgery I had 4-5 days of disorgaized speech and started having tremors. And now with activity I am having episodes of tachycardia sometimes up to 140. This past week I went back to work after the surgeries and on the second day I was sent to the emergency room because of constant shaking. I was so nervous I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. Also has flushing and then got clammy and cool. In the emergency room they said I was in atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter but they were not sure if it was true or if it was artifact because of the way I was shaking. I was admitted, cardiac enzymes were done and were all negative. EKG was repeated in the AM and was nornal sinus rhythm at bradycardia again. While on the telemetry floor for 3 days I had bradycardia most of the time and a few times it was recorded at 37-41 and then 70-80 the rest of the time. When I was admitted I was told by the intern admitting me that I had an inverted T wave. I am a medical person myself and this usually means a coronary event. The cardiologist came in to see me the next day and said it was nothing to worry about that most people get tachycardia with activity. Somehow this leaves me very confused. I can't work without shaking like a leaf. My nerves are on their very edge. I would love to hear some of your thoughts about this if anyone else has had a similar problem. I just do not think that a pulse rate going up to 140 when you take a shower and then become sweaty and shaky is normal. Thanks for letting me vent. Mary12004
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2004 - 1:37pm

Mary, welcome to

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2004 - 4:08pm
Hi Cicelia,

I was glad to hear your response. They did check thyroid and I have subclinical hyperthyroidism with a multinodular goiter. They are going to do a fine needle aspiration biopsy of two of the larger nodules on the 25th. The endocrinologist said he did not think the heart arrythmias were caused by the thyroid because the T3 and T4 are still in normal ranges. So I am going to talk to my regular cardiologist on monday and hope that I get a satisfactory answer. I am only 49 and too young to be having these kinds of problems. I have been off work since the 29th of June and really need to get back to work. They really have to figure this out as I cannot function as a nurse as I am right now. I went back to work last week and could not even finish the shift. I will post again after I have some answers. I sent in another recording on the event monitor yesterday after taking a shower. My pulse rate was 140 and I was sweatty and clammy and it took about 45 minutes to return to normal. I know that is not normal and this whole thing really has me a little spooked. I am the kind of nurse who finishes my work early and checks to be sure everyone else is OK. So they have to fix this for me. I have lost 165 pounds through gastric bypass surgry and have not come this far to fail!!! Anyway thank you for your post and I will keep you posted. Mary

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 1:55pm

Mary,

Thanks for the follow-up and good luck.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 4:56pm
cecelia,

I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he say's my case is very challenging. During the exam I again had orthostatic blood presure of 120/64 and on standing dropped to 90/52. Pulse lying was 68 and on standing 120. He believes it is a fluid balance shift in the autonomic system due from the 2 surgeries. Possibly POTS syndrome but not 100% sure yet. He started me on florinef to see if it helps. He released me to go back to work. I am having a Halter monitor done again tomorrow and blood work again in 2 weeks. He said he went over to the hospital and looked over the strips from the hospital stay and he saw no inverted T wave. Maybe the intern misread the strip, anyway he thinks this will do the trick but its a wait and see game because he is not 100% sure of the root cause and siad not to worry too much because he will get to the bottom of it. I wish he had not been gone on vacation last week when this all started. I am very glad to find this site because the support helps. Thanks for listening. Mary
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 3:00pm

Mary,

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with your own doctor being back.

Hugs,

Cecilia