opinion on heart attack in women?

iVillage Member
opinion on heart attack in women?
Wed, 08-18-2004 - 8:32pm
Hi-i am 37, thin, and in relatively good shape. I have been having some upper back, mostly on left side, by shoulder blade pain/aching for about 1 month. It feels like a knot in my back, and, I can push it/massage it-and, I get the feeling when I stretch my nect too. Sometimes my neck and trapezious (sp?) area burns. I have no chest pains, but was on a medication that had a side effect of heart irregularities, which caused irregular beats, and rapid beating. I have since stopped the medication-my question is, if a woman is having a heart attack, or a problem, would it go on this long? my irregularities have stopped, but now I have anxiety,I am concerned I will miss something. I had an echo/ekg about 8-9 years ago, and all was fine-how often do those need repeating? (dr thought i had a murmer) I know no on here is an MD, and, I have left a message at my Dr to at least have someone listen, but I wanted some opinions on how long symptoms last before a total attack? Thanks-any advice helpful!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 3:45pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 4:35pm
Thank you Cecelia for the advice-i actually have recently had a full blood work up-including cholesterol and cardiac funtion(?-there was something regarding the heart on the lab firm, but i don't recall what) anyways, all was normal. But I have an appt.Monday with my GP to get checked out. Thanks again

kelli
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 3:01pm

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-23-2004 - 6:35pm
Hi,

I'm 44 and suffered a bad heart attack in February. I had symptoms similar to yours for months, but thought it was gas, since it felt better when I hit my back. I actually had two small ones before the biggie, and they felt like pressure in my upper chest and back. Symptoms for the major attack were, vomiting, dirrehea, severe pain in the right shoulder, and under the right breast. That went on for four hours before I called someone for help. By the time I got to the hospital, the pain had moved into the center of my chest, but I still got some relief when hit on the back. I was taken into the cath lab immediately, and there was a 100% blockage. The Dr. told me that women present in symptoms differently, and the vomiting and dirrehea are common. I would have been dead if I had waited 10 minutes longer. My advise to you, see a cardiologist and explain all the symptoms, even if you don't think they could be related. WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT THAN MEN, AND WE HAVE DIFFERENT SYMPTOMS! Don't wait. Good luck.