Had EKG Today . . .

iVillage Member
Had EKG Today . . .
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 5:21pm
Hi everyone. I'm 27 years old and I had my first EKG today. Although I've never experienced any heart problems that I am aware of (i.e. heaviness in chest, dizzy, etc.), I have a strong family history of heart disease. My mom died of a heart attack at age 48 and both her parents had heart disease (her father died of a heart attack too). Moreover, her grandmother (my great-grandmother) also died of a heart attack at age 48.

So today my Dr. said my EKG is abnormal because my heart skipped several beats while I was exercising on the treadmill. He wants me to come back in 2 weeks to further discuss the before/after pictures of my heart, discuss the EKG, and to get a heart monitor. The heart monitor is suppose to monitor my heart beats for 24 hours.

He also asked me if I have chest pains and I said no. In fact, I said *Should I Have Chest Pains?* I feel fine!? The tone of his voice made me think that something is seriously wrong with my heart!

I also remember my mom telling me that I had an irregular heart beat as a baby too.

Should I be concerned about all of this? Can my problem be cured or what?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 2:52pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 5:29pm
Thank you Cecilia. Yes I will wait and see what the Doctor says. I hope it's nothing serious that requires medication because I am strongly opposed to taking heart medication. I've witnessed first hand how this medication (and its side effects) deteriorated my mom's health, as well as the health of my grandparents.

And although I don't relish the idea of surgery either - I think I'll take my chances with surgery given today's advanced technology. In any event, herbal remedies are best . . . . .