Is it my heart or my gut?

iVillage Member
Is it my heart or my gut?
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 5:28pm
Hello everyone,

I am so concerned. My father died of a heart attack at 52. My younger bother had a heart attack at 40 and my other younger brother had a stroke at 42. I have been having chest pain and left arm pain that radiates to my back and neck on jaw area. I did stay overnight in a hospital for observation a couple of weeks ago and was give a stress test and it was normal. I still have the symptoms. Along with the symptoms I have symptoms of indigestion. My doctor prescribe protonik (acid reducer) which I have been taken for a couple of day. Which has cause a little relief. But not enough for me to totally convenice that it is not my heart also. Any suggestions?
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-22-2004 - 9:08pm

Hi fncy2,

I posted a news article on stress tests on this board recently:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-bharrhythmia&msg=1297.1&ctx=0

You would need to check with your doctor on this story to make sure you don't need more testing.

IVHealth Ruth Ann
Community Leader/Ask the Health Librarian

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2004 - 2:03pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 9:56am
Hi,

My thoughts would be that in view of your very strong family history that it would be worth persuing another assessment of your chest pain. A negative stress test is a good sign, but they are not always 100% accurate in their readings, and if your symptoms are continuing despite the acid reducing medication then it might be worth going back to your doctor (though keep going with the medication until your doctor advises differently). Is there any pattern to when you get the pain? Is it after you've eaten? Or during/after exercise? At rest?

Perhaps you could keep a 'diary' of your pain - recording where the pain is, how bad it is (score it out of 10 for example), and making a note of what brings it on and what helps for it to go away - and go back to your doctor with that?

I can completely understand your concern in light of your family history, and if nothing else, perhaps the pain diary would give your doctor enough information to reassure you.

Take care, keep us posted!

Silver x