UPDATE ON MY EKG RESULTS

iVillage Member
UPDATE ON MY EKG RESULTS
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 2:46pm
Hi everyone. I posted to you a few weeks ago about having an abnormal EKG reading and how heart disease runs rampant on my mom's side of the family. In fact, my mom, grandfather, and great-grandmother died of a heart attack and my grandmother had heart problems too. Well the Dr. said that the EKG showed several paplitations while I was on the treadmill.

After examining the pictures, the ultrasound, and the EKG, the Dr. said that my ultrasound was normal along with my heart. However, the *sac* that surrounds the heart was extremely inflammed (sac is brightly highlighted on my pictures but the brightness could be due to the advanced technology). He explained that the sac gets inflamed when, for example, there is so kind of viral infection such as the flu or the common cold or something. Sometimes, there is no explanation for the inflammation. He then asked me if I am getting over a cold or the flu and I said no. It should be noted that I had a minor gynocological infection in late April or early May but that has since been cured.

In any event, because my sac is inflammed, this creates fluid around my heart, which usually goes away on its own without medication or surgery. This fluid also causes palpitations as well as slight discomfort in the chest area, including gas.

He put me on the 24 hours heart monitor and I must come back next week for the results of the heart monitor. At that time, the Dr. can conclude with certainty whether the inflammation and fluid is causing the palpitations. If so, the Dr. stated that he will give me a minor diuretic to dispose of the fluid, if necessary.

Your thoughts?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 3:23pm

That is better known as endocarditis.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 3:36pm
Thank you Cecilia. With respect to Mitral Valve Prolapse, where would this show up? On the EKG? Hearth Monitor? Where?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 3:42pm
Oh, Cecilia - I think he said I have *Pericarditis*, which is the swelling on the sac that surrounds the heart.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 5:39pm
Hi!

I was just about to post in response to Cecilia's post to say that this sounds much more like pericarditis than endocarditis as she suggested. Pericarditis is inflammation of the lining of the sac that the heart muscle sits in, which classically causes chest pain that is worse when you breath in or lie flat, and better when you sit forwards. As your doctor said this is often caused by some kind of generalised virus (flu etc) but can sometimes occur for no reason. This tends to settle down well over time without too many problems, but it's good that you're being monitored and followed up by the cardiologist to make sure that things are progressing as you'd hope.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/questions/index.asp?secondlevel=370&thirdlevel=504&artID=1935

The above link is to the British Heart Foundation site (I'm English, but I'm sure the American Heart Association would have similar information - this is just easier for me to find!) and hopefully will be of some help to you.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Take care, keep us posted!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 5:48pm
Just wanted to clarify the difference here ... - endocarditis is an infection of one of the valves within the heart, whereas pericarditis is inflammation/infection of the pericardium (sac that the heart sits in). Pericarditis is very often a result of a viral infection, whereas endocarditis tends to be the result of a bacterial infection and needs antibiotic treatment (normally intravenous for about 6 weeks) to prevent damage to the heart valve involved. Endocarditis is much rarer than pericarditis and the treatments are very different.

Hope that helps.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 5:51pm
Thank you silver daisies! Actually, like I said in my previous post, I feel fine! Yes I feel occasional shape pains but those pains only last a few seconds and it doesn't interrupt my lifestyle in any way. And even when the EKG recorded those palpitations, I didn't feel a thing!! In fact, my Dr. said I exercise well not only because I lasted so long on the treadmill but also because I literaaly had to *run* in order to break a sweat!!

Cherio!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2004 - 5:58pm
Sounds as though you are well on the road to recovery, that's good to hear!

Take care of yourself, and keep feeling better!