Ugh . . . Oh . . . .

iVillage Member
Ugh . . . Oh . . . .
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 11:31am
During my 2 mile walk yesterday evening, I felt more sluggish than usual and I felt fatigued for the rest of the evening. I also had a mild fever. Then things got worse once I went to bed last night. My heart started racing and I could feel it beating in my neck! I also felt palpitations. And my left shoulder and arm felt *weird*. I've never experienced this before! I took some Advil and eventually went to sleep after 2 hours of all this. I felt better this morning and the fever subsided once I ate breakfast.

I called my Dr. this morning (I should've thought to call him last night) and it took him an hour to return my call. Anyway, he said that my symptoms were minor and not to worry. I asked him whether this had anything to do with the pericarditis (water in the sac of my heart) and he said *NO, that is minor! I'm not concerned about that in any way! Besides, I just saw you last week and the water would not fill up that fast.*

So he told me to go to my Primary Dr. but later told me to go to the ER if I feel worse since, with these minor symptoms, the Primary probably would not see me today. Basically, the cardio thinks I have a cold/viral infection and told me to stay home for work for the rest of this week and *relax*.

I have a follow-up appt with the Cardio next Thursday to discuss the results of my heart monitor. However, he told me to come in on Tues if the fever continues (the office is closed today through Monday because of the Republican Convention and the Labor Day Holiday).

Should I be concerned by all this?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 12:44pm

Perhaps a two mile walk is a bit much post DX of pericarditis.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 1:22pm
Yeah I thought that was odd for the Dr. to put this off until Tuesday too but he also stated that he is not a Primary Doctor, so I just assumed that he wasn't qualified to give medical advice on my symptoms. On the other hand, I did infer to him that these symptoms could also be associated with pericarditis according to information posted on webmd.com. That's when he stated that my heart situation is minor and not to worry. I'm not thinking about going to another cardio to get a second opinion. I also don't like how I felt *rushed *during my last 2 consultations with this Dr.

With respect to the 2 mile walk, this is apart of my new exercise routine where I walk 2 miles for 4 weekdays and 4 miles each Saturday and Sunday. I've been on this routine for about 4 weeks lost and, coupled with my calorie restricted diet, I've lost about 15 pounds! In any event, I never felt so tired after my 2 mile walk like this. Yes I took Tuesday off but, before then, that walk was starting to get easy! Anyway, this Dr. also told me not to continue this routine until my next visit.