Heart Palpitations

iVillage Member
Heart Palpitations
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 11:29am
I've been having them about 5 to 15 times a day. Cut out caffeine and aspartame from my diet, they've gotten a little better. One time a couple of months ago I had them for a long period of time, they wouldn't stop, I thought it would never stop, I coughed, took deep breaths, got really scared, then it finally did stop. It worries me. I had an EKG, ECHO and wore a 24/hour halter monitor. After halter monitor, my family doctor said don't worry about it, everyone's heart does it, I am just more aware of it. My kids want me to see a cardiologist. I have a lot going on in my life (house problems, another health problem) could it be just stress? I've always had them, but the past few months more so than normal. Just wondering if anyone else has had them or been treated for them and if they are really normal or should I be worried? Thanks.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2004 - 12:46pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2004 - 2:13pm
Thanks, Cecilia. I get them several times a day. My primary doctor told me they were normal after seeing the cardiologist's report from the 24/hour monitor. Since then I checked out the ivillage menopause/premenopause boards and learned that these palpitations could possibly be part of that. I think that is possible because my gynecologist said I am at the beginning of menopause and am only having periods every 4 or 5 months. I have a breast doctor appointment coming up, possible biopsy, I think I am worried about what that will bring, so if I still have them as often after I take care of that, I will look further into it. Thanks for your advice.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2004 - 9:56am
Joanie,

I have been having the same thing happening to me. They were happening a lot but the docs could never catch them but I felt awful. I had the same tests you had and the only thing that showed up was a couple very short bouts of a fib. I was miserable though so my family doctor sent me to a cardiologist. He has put me on some medication & I feel much better. However, he started me on blood thinner which I am not pleased about but he told me that you are 15% more likely to suffer a stroke when this happens because the blood pools up and can create clots. I don't think you should ignore it just because I know how you are feeling and I know the medicine has helped me a lot. Hope this helps.

Gaye