Dr Appt Today...nervous

iVillage Member
Dr Appt Today...nervous
Fri, 09-24-2004 - 10:10am
Hi,

Two weeks ago I had an episode of severe chest pain that brought on dizziness, nausea, and a cold sweat. It lasted about 2 minutes. I'm ashamed to say I did not go to the emergency room because I was hoping it would stop and it did. It's the second time it's happened. The pain is very sharp and hard and is right in the center of my chest, and when it passes I feel run over. I'm 51 and have no history of heart disease, but before this happened I had been noticing I do get out of breath alot more easily--sometimes I get winded getting dressed in the morning. But I have a very sedentary job and have gotten to be about 25 pounds overweight since I started it, so it could be just that. I'm in lousy shape, I know that.

So I did make an appointment w/my GP. (It took 2 weeks to get in, which kind of bothered me) and I see him today. Here's what I'm worried about: In 1999 I had a bunch of tests for MS because I was having balance problems, slurred speech, and some other things. I did not have MS. My GP put me on an aspirin a day in case I was having TIAs, small strokes. Well, I haven't really been to the doctor since then--I'm not the kind of person who runs to the doctor for every little thing--but when I started having these chest pains a friend who is a nurse told me that a carotid blockage could cause the same symptoms that caused them to look for MS.

So now I am scared to death I will stroke out or something, but I don't want to tell the doctor what to do, and I don't want to seem like some kind of hypochondriac. Do you think it would be pushy to ask him directly to listen to the arteries in my neck? When I was having the MS-like problems they told me I am not in a risk group for stroke or heart problems, so they never really checked that out, just told me to take the aspirin. I think they thought that, after the Ms tests came back clear, I was just one of those paranoid kind of hysterical women or something, and it was all very upsetting to say the least. So I'm scared to go to the doctor and I'm scared to not go.

I have been kind of bloated, so I'm hoping maybe it's gas--although that would be embarrassing. But I know it's not panic because it happened when I felt fine and I'm on meds for panic and depression and have been for years.I'd feel better if he ordered some tests. Am I overreacting?

Thanks,

Pam

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2004 - 1:13pm

Pam, welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2004 - 5:08pm
Thanks Cecilia,

Well, I just got back--got an EKG and a chest x-Ray and some kind of little test that checks oxygen in the blood. The doctor was great, he took me seriously and listened to everything I was concerned about, asked alot of questions, listened to my neck without me having to ask, and finally said that he wanted to check it out further since, even though my EKG went well and my blood-oxygen was fine and he expects the chest x-ray will be fine too, the possibility of a heart problem is too serious to dismiss quickly.

I have a little heart murmur which I guess is not a big deal, and my blood pressure was a bit high--148/100. He said when my chest xray comes back if it is fine too he will schedule a stress test, and that if it happens again I should go straight to the ER because sometimes if they can see it while it's happening they can figure out what it is. he also didn't feel it was that great of a thing to not go to the doc for 5 years--which is something that, honestly, I never even thought of until you both mentioned it.

So I feel alot better, though I did notice he was awfully careful NOT to tell me it's not my heart, even though everything today checked out good. I also brought up the possibility of it being gas and he did not feel like that was an explanation, which surprised me since, talking with people, I get the impression they always tell you it's gas if you didn't have a heart attack. My chest still feels tight.

This scared me, no kidding. Whatever happens, I am lgoing to lose 15 pounds and start walking more. I'll be back to let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Pam

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2004 - 2:54pm

Pam, I am pleased that he took personal concern with your physical health.

Hugs,

Cecilia