Nausea & lightheadedness, heart attack??

iVillage Member
Nausea & lightheadedness, heart attack??
Sat, 10-16-2004 - 9:05pm
My mom has high blood pressure and become lightheaded for a few seconds at work a couple days ago. Then she was felt nauseous off and on for about 4 hours. She never threw up, just felt like she was going to. She didn't have any other symptoms. I am worried that she may have had a silent heart attack. Has anyone had any experience with this or advice. I am so worried. Are there tests that she can ask for from her doctor to find out if she had a heart attack? I am worried that she may have a big one in the near future.

Thank you so much!! :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 4:07am
Hi

It would definitely be worth your mum getting checked over by a doctor in view of her lightheadedness and nausea as there could be many causes of this. Having high blood pressure does put you at more risk of suffering a heart attack, but those symptoms alone aren't classic symptoms of a silent heart attack. However, her doctor can do a heart tracing (ECG) which will show if there has been any damage to her heart in the past and if there's anything of concern at the time it is taken (ECGs can't predict the future though).

You don't say how old your mum is, or if she has any other risk factors that make you particularly worried about her having a heart attack in the future. Is her blood pressure well controlled? Is she taking any medication for it? If so, was it changed recently? That might account for her lightheadedness/nausea.

If her doctor is concerned, or if your mum is worried, then perhaps a referral to a cardiologist would put yours and her minds at rest, and they can initiate other investigations if they think they are necessary.

Hope that helps a bit ... come back and let us know what happens?

Take care

Silver x