Nursing Mom with Palpitations

iVillage Member
Nursing Mom with Palpitations
Thu, 11-18-2004 - 12:06pm
I'm 28 and am still nursing my 21 month old daughter. During my pregnancy, I had PVCs which showed up on a Holter moniter and a cardiologist did an Echo and, after my daughter was born, a stress echo and nothing showed up. I had PVCs again about a year after my daughter was born. My potassium was low, so he put me on potassium supplements which I continue to take. Everything was fine for about four months, then I woke up one night with a racing heartbeat. Went to the ER and the EKG was normal. The cardiologist repeated the Holter and there were no funny beats on it. But now I have noticied that I have a cluster of symptoms that appear about a week after my period, some months more severe than others. The symptoms include waking up with a fast heart rate or periods of fast heart rate particularly in the evenings and feeling like I can't get a really good breath, foggy thinking, slightly blurry vision, anxiety, headaches, tingles in the scalp, chills down my arms, itchy chest, and some pain through the chest/breasts, very slight nausea that is more like indigestion or stomach gas. I have had my blood sugars tested, and although I have a tendancy to have a high fasting insulin level, my sugars always test normal. I recently had a really severe episode of these symptoms and had blood tests and another echo. Sugars, thyroid, etc. and the echo all came back normal. Because I am still nursing, I am wondering if there may be a hormonal cause for this? Has anyone out there had/known somone with these types of symptoms? Are there additional tests I should ask for? Also, no one can figure out why my potassium is low because I am not on water pills or a crazy diet, etc. Because I have had the PVCs, my main worry is that the fast heart rates could be VT, which I know can be dangerous. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-18-2004 - 2:57pm

Welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia