13 year old son with bluish lips and nai

iVillage Member
13 year old son with bluish lips and nai
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 3:08pm
My son is 13 years old. When he was 5 he had multiple episodes of chest pain that he described as lightening strikes. He was eventually sent to a cardiologist who ran an echo and said that everything looked fine. Our doctor told me at the time that he felt that the pain was probably musculoskeletal and suggested cortizone injections. We decided against going that rout and eventually the pains went away. Around a month ago, he came into my room in the middle of the night complaining of chest pain and stated that it felt "different" than before. I blew it off deciding that it was probably the same thing that he had felt over the years. Now, however, he has been coughing up blood, having nose bleeds, and his lips and nail beds appear bluish. He has been made fun of at school recently due to this. It actually looks like he has been sucking on a blue lolly pop or something. I noticed it this weekend and looked at his fingers. On one hand, I can't remember which one it was, his nailbeds were purple. He states that it happens when he gets cold, but my husband and I have observed it at other times, such as when he gets out of bed, or has been up and running around. Any input is very much welcomed.
Teri
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-14-2004 - 2:47pm

Teri,

First of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia