Need Help Please - Input/Advice/Anything

iVillage Member
Need Help Please - Input/Advice/Anything
Thu, 01-20-2005 - 1:02pm

I have been experiencing chest pain for 6 years. It started one night, in the middle of the night, I could feel this tiny little tickle very deep inside my chest. I thought it would go away, but it didn't, it just evolved over the next 6 years into a rash of different stabs and pressures to the point that I can't even remember what it feels like to not have any pain in my chest.

I have been to the emergency room numerous times and have finally just learned to live with the pain. Two years ago I did have an EKG and it was abnormal, I was sent for a stress test and an echocardiogram and was told that those were o.k. and I was fine. Now again, the pain in my chest has gotten worse, it radiates to my left armpit and around to my back and sometimes up to my neck. I feel a pressing sensation right above my breast which does go away, but frequently returns.

I had another EKG a week ago and was told that too was abnormal, however I am only 26 years old and as soon as any doctor see's me, they automatically dismiss what I am telling them. This doctor ran some blood tests, told me my EKG wasn't "all that abnormal" and sent me home. I am very nervous about this. If it isn't my heart GREAT!!!! I don't want it to be! But no one knows what else it could be. My cousin on my mothers side died at 29 years old from an enlarged heart, my grandfather died at 42 years old from heart disease, it does run in the family.

I have never had shortness of breathe or swelling in my limbs. I have been dizzy and nauseated at times, lack of appetite and caffeine seems to intensify the sensation. The pain just seems to get worse over the years, progressively worse, but not to the point that I can't function. And now it seems to be spreading, like I said around to my armpit and to my back, right at my shoulder blade. I also get a very warm sensation in the left side of my chest sometimes now as well.

I am tired of living in fear because of this, I am a single mother of two children and want to live a very long healthy life for them, but these pains scare me and I don't know what is causing them and something is telling me that there is something terribly wrong with my heart, but everyone keeps saying that I am fine and good luck with the pain!!!

Is it normal to have this pain, for 6 years, with TWO EKG's that were abnormal? That doesn't sound right to me. I was once told that it was due to the cartlidge between my ribs being strained and put on Ibuprofin for 6 months. That didn't do anything for it. Then I was told to lose wait after having my children. I lost the weight, the pain is still there. I was told that it is fibrocystic breast disease... the pain is NOT in my breast!! It is deeper but I can't tell if it is in the muscle or in the heart itself. Could my heart be enlarged and putting pressure on my armpit and back at this point? They did not do an x-ray. Would I still be basically able to do everything I need to do if that were the case? Or if I did have a heart condition? Because I can run around the block, I can lift things, I have no other problems except for this pain in my chest that WILL NOT GO AWAY. Most of the time it feels like a throbbing dull pain, then I have shooting pain through my armpit and my back, and I have the pressing feeling right on my chest like taking two fingers and pressing inward on my breastplate. Does this sound like heart disease?

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-21-2005 - 1:36pm

It sounds like the doctors you have seen are in need of a good smack on the back of the head.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-21-2005 - 1:44pm

First of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia