pains..triggered by foods and stress...

iVillage Member
pains..triggered by foods and stress...
Wed, 02-23-2005 - 2:12pm

Hi! I'm Jen and I'm writing because I need some help. Here's the situation:

About 3 weeks after having my daughter (January 2004), I woke up with pain in my upper abdominal/chest area. I thought it was heartburn because I had had hot wings and potato skins for dinner (aka tons of grease, fat, etc). So I took some Tums and that relieved a lot of the pressure I had but I still had a mild pain that made it impossible to get comfortable to relax and sleep. So, I went to the ER and they thought it was my gallbladder. So they run Catscans, Xrays, and MRI's and find nothing but a mild urinary tract infection.

I go home and about 2 weeks or more I wake up with the same pains and call my family doctor who sees me that day and they schedule me for an upper GI. I get there, get more Xrays, drink the nasty barium stuff and they find nothing.

So, I let it go and have these pains about once a month or so and take 2 Advil and it goes away in 30 minutes to an hour. I went on a diet and exercised and wasn't getting them as often but then near the end of October things in my life started going downhill, lots of stress and depression. I went off the diet and didn't exercise and started getting the pains more often again.

I had noticed that it can be triggered by foods. Example: I made a meal and used a different gravy. I didn't used to get the pains until I used that. So, I used my normal gravy after that and didn't get the pains.

Also, it can be triggered from stress. I woke up this morning stressing about some things and felt the pains starting so I stopped worrying and calmed myself down and they went away.

What I want to know is if any of you could give me any ideas as to what you think it might be. I'm thinking it has something to do with my heart...some kind of heart disease related issue. I know I should go to the doctor but I don't have health insurance and I don't qualify for state funded insurance based on my part-time income and my fiance's full-time income. I suppose if it comes down to it...I will go to the doctor. But I'd like to think if I can somehow stop this or make things better without seeing a doctor, I want to do that.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jen

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-24-2005 - 1:27pm

Jen, first of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia