rapid heartrate/mild chest pain

iVillage Member
rapid heartrate/mild chest pain
Wed, 03-09-2005 - 10:16pm

I'm a 32-year-old female, 125 lbs. and fairly active, and have been having mild chest pains, very occasionally, for the past few months. I've also had trouble with my heart seeming to race when I lie down at night, though that has become only occasional too.

I recently joined a gym and became aware of how quickly my heart rate goes through the roof. I do have a 20-minute walk to the gym, and I am a fast walker -- and although I don't go at a pace which makes me uncomfortable I do sometimes get short of breath if I'm trying to talk at the same time, and also sometimes sweat considerably. By the time I get on a machine, my heart rate almost immediately soars to 180, 190 within minutes, well before I feel like I'm getting a workout. Today, on a crosstrainer, I tried my best to slow down, but I could only get my heart rate down to 160. (Right now, it's about 90.)

And now I've had a mild twinge in my chest for the rest of the day. I'm not overweight or a poor eater. I do suffer from migraines, and am currently taking Elavil for them. I'm also on low-dose birth control.

Because I seem to always be going to the dr. for my headaches, I'm hesitant to start another hard-to-diagnose odyssey unless this could be signs of something bad. Please advise...

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-10-2005 - 11:00am

Welcome to this fine board of folks.

Hugs,

Cecilia