New Here! HELP! only 40 years old

iVillage Member
New Here! HELP! only 40 years old
Sat, 03-19-2005 - 1:08pm

Well, I'll be 40 in less than two weeks. I have been fairly healthy except for allergies. The last couple of weeks I started having these heart palpitations out of nowhere that would last approx 30 min and my blood pressure would just go crazy. Well, this past Tues morn I woke up at 2 A.M. with chest pains. Went to hospital and went thru the routine of being treated for a heart attack. But EKG and blood enzymes all came back normal in the 24 hour period. They decided to do a echo, which they said showed some abnormalities and couldn't get a steady resting heart rate. So I was sent to a heart hospital for a heart cath. I was told my heart was healthier than a 40 year old and looked perfect. There was a tiny bit of fluid in my lungs. A year ago (Nov 2003), I came down with that very bad flu going around and was put on Amantadine and had an extreme reaction and ended up in the hospital for 2 days. I don't think I ever really got over that and haven't felt the same since. I've complained and complained to my physician, but all he wanted to blame it on was stress and put me on antidepressants.

But now that this has happened, the cardiologist told me my heart and lungs are completely healthy but that I have to have some type of virus that has just attacked that area. My question is: Has anyone had this before? What can I do? I'm so confused and VERY scared. How do I fight this virus, if this is the case? After my heart cath, I bled severely and they almost lost me. My blood pressure went to 53/28. Twice!!! That scares me even more and I feel like this is my second chance, but don't know where to go from here or what to do. What they called it was "VIRAL MYOCARDIAL MYOPATHY)" which I can't find any info on the internet on at all.

Please, if anyone can give me some advice or input, I would greatly appreciate it. I am so very scared right now. I'll be 40 in a week or so and have a wonderful husband and a very special 4 yr old daughter. I'm scared for them also. This has just turned my life upside down, but yet around in a more positive outlook way too since I feel like God has given me a second chance.

Hope someone here can help!!!!!!!!

Chris

P.S. I exercise at least 5 days a week, eat fairly decent and do some strength training. I started this 10 years ago after my father's first heart attack.

Edited 3/19/2005 2:10 pm ET ET by luvdchelsea