S.S.S. and Anomalous RCA

iVillage Member
S.S.S. and Anomalous RCA
Thu, 05-19-2005 - 7:28pm
This is going to be long and I apologize. I started having frequent bouts of tachycardia while pregnant with my first child and taking terbutaline. Even after the baby was born and I was no longer taking the med I was having a racing heart rate. Eventually the racing got so extreme that I was syncopial or near syncopial from time to time. Doctors kept ignoring me for 14 years because at the first sign I was only 20. Since the birth of my son 7 years ago this has progressed to having trouble even walking very far and sometimes simply going to the restroom is scary. I ended up taking a physical test for another reason when they placed me on a heart monitor for the test. They cancelled the test because my heart went over protocol limits of 159 and they recorded my heart rate at 228 simply climbing up a ladder. My heart rate wouldn't go under 189 even after sitting for several minutes. They insisted I get cleared by a cardiologist before returning for another test. In the meantime I had a chemical stress test which I blacked out 2 times and passed out once. There was an area of my heart that they felt was damaged so they referred me back to the cardiologist where I had a catheterization done. He told me that my ejection fraction was great and that I had something that about 10% of the worlds population has which is that my right coronary artery doesn't start or end where it should but in most these people it never causes them a problem. He refused to release me back to work even though he knew my insurance would end two days later if he did not. He insisted that I see an electrophysiologist considering I had a bit of tachy during the catheterization. He had previously had me on a holter monitor and an event monitor and recorded my heart rate at 299 for simply tieing my shoes. I had frequent bouts of tachy and one episode of brady as well. I had a couple bouts of something called junctional escape rhythm's and tachy along with PVC's with bigeminy, trigeminy and one incident of quadgimeny (SP). Nevertheless because my insurance got canned I couldn't see the EP doctor and ended up waiting several months and now have begun seeing a regular primary that works for the community on a sliding scale. He says from my information I need a pacemaker or ICD. He has me on Atenolol for my arrhythmia and Glucophage and Actos for Type II diabetes (uncontrolled). He gave me the script to file for disability and says I cannot work or drive but disability takes a very long time to acquire and I don't qualify for basic medicaid. I had been under the comfort of thinking I had the time to wait until this past week (considering it hadn't killed me before)but in the past week I have had much trouble lying down because of shortness of breath more like a very uncomfortable pressure on my chest similar to that of a toddler sitting on my chest. I can draw air ok but it feels difficult. I wake up several times a night gasping for air and scare my hubby to death. (doesn't do much for me either) ....then 2 nights ago my hubby placed his hand on my right rib for about 1/2 hour while we were first laying in bed, I had to go to the restroom and while in there I realized I had a mark on my side that was the perfect imprint of his entire hand fingerprints and all embedded into my skin. It looked as if someone had smacked the heck out of me but I know this isn't the case. It took over an hour and 1/2 for the mark to stop leaving an indent. I've learned since then that if I sleep on a few pillows or sitting up I still have pressure breathing but it's not as severe but it's starting to bother me during the day as well. My Dr cannot see me til next week and I'm worried what all this means. If anyone has had anything like this please let me know. I'm 34 not overweight, diabetic. Thanks for listening!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-20-2005 - 3:48pm

First of all welcome to this fine board.

Hugs,

Cecilia