New here, scared!! Sorry, long.....

iVillage Member
New here, scared!! Sorry, long.....
Thu, 07-14-2005 - 3:15pm

Hi everyone, I'm really scared right now. I've been experiencing very hard-core palpitations many times per day, and some mild chest pain for the past couple of weeks.

My doctor had me wear a Holter monitor, and he said he saw "premature" heartbeats, but he didn't seem overly concerned otherwise. I went for an Echo-Doppler test yesterday as a "double-check", and am awaiting the results.

Meanwhile I am having palpitations, pain, and am basically afraid I'm going to drop dead at any moment!!

My history - I'm 39, and have experienced mild, infrequent palpitations for years. I quit smoking 2 months ago (after 25 years!). I stopped using the Nicotine patch about 3 weeks ago, since I thought maybe that had made my palpitations worse.

I'm trying to calm down, but I can't. I'm sure my anxiety is making everything worse... but then I'll realize I'm just sitting here reading & all of a sudden I'll have a major palpitation. I am at the point where I can't concentrate on anything.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just really needed to tell someone how I am feeling.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate any kinds words you may have.
Julie

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2005 - 7:42pm

Hi Julie, did your doctor say what to do in the event that the palpitations should reoccur?? Would you consider going to the ER or can you call your doc for advice?

In the meantime, try some relaxation techniques. Deep breathing, counting backwards from 100 (by 3's).

Have you cut out your caffeine intake? This means chocolate, mountain dew, cola and other sodas as well as tea and coffee.

Insomnia & Sleep Problems

"I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator."