heart murmurs

iVillage Member
heart murmurs
Fri, 07-22-2005 - 10:38am
hello...i am new to this board but have a question about heart murmurs...i am 30 years old and have had one since the day i was born...doctors told my mom it shouldn't affect me at all but when i get anxious,scared,nervous etc my heart beats rather fast and hard...it does slow down eventually but i have had a few dizzy spells in the last couple of years and haev gone for blood tests,urine tests, ekg's and last time i had tests like this everything came back fine...just went for more recently as these spells are affecting my work...i am also prone to heat stroke as i am fair-skinned and can't handle extreme heat or humidity...i am not diabetic nor am i pregnant but i am wondering if this murmur could cause me problems...any info on this would be great...
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-22-2005 - 11:46am
I think the best place to start is with your doctor. Ask for a referral to a cardiologist if you don't already have one. Be sure to mention your concern about your heart and anxiety. It could be that you are experiencing a normal "anxiety attack" (not that there's anything overly normal about that

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2005 - 12:31am

To answer your question, yes, your murmur could be causing you problems. I agree with the other reply who recommened that you start with your doctor and get a referral to a cardiologist if you don't already have one.

Like you, I had a murmur since birth. I was also told it should cause me any problems until I was in my 60's or 70's. Well, last July, I started noticing that I got short of breath REALLY easily, and I also has dizzy spells. I was 32, and had never had any problems with my murmur until then. I ignored it for a few months, until I just couldn't take the stress of wondering what was going on any more. I had also started to notice some chest discomfort. It wasn't pain, it was more like a dull, annoying ache.

I went for my echocardiogram the first week of November. The results showed that there was some narrowing of my aortic valve, classified as "moderate stenosis". Because of my symptoms, though, they decided to do surgery to correct it.

So on December 14, 2004, I had open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. That was 7 months ago, and I can't believe how much better I feel!

But this is just me. You could live to be 100 and never have any problems with your murmur. The only advise I can give you at this point is to be diligent in getting atttention for any symptoms that may pop up. I found that worrying about what was wrong and needing surgery was WAY worse than the surgery itself!

Keep us updated, ok? If you have any questions, you can email me through my User ID.

Barb

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2005 - 1:10pm
hello...thanks for your advice...i will more than likely make an appt to see me family doc but that won't be till nov....as for my results i got them back today and everthing is negative...blood,urine and EKG all checked out fine...i told the doc that i was born with a murmur and he said whe he listened to my chest he didn't hear it...so i am a medical mystery...will keep in touch should i find anything out...
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2005 - 1:13pm
hi barb...thanks for your story...i plan to make an appt with my family doc but that won't be till nov cuz he's booked solid...my results came back from blood, urine and EKG and i'm relieved to say that all is negative...everything is fine...what's wierd is the doc at the walk-in clinic said he didn't hear a murmur but i've had one since i was born...a medical mystery i guess..will keep you informed...
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-05-2005 - 5:32pm
Hello,I was also born with a murmur. Mine is from a valve that does not close completly. My oldest son has a murmur too, but we are looking into why. His ekg showed his valves were fine too. A cardiologist is definitely the way to go they know what to listen for!Finding a good one is the key....as for your spells try ice cold water 8-16 oz. at least. and sit for a few. Also try a cool shower when you get heated up. This has helped me! Hope to hear from you soon to see how your doing!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2005 - 3:54pm

It sounds like you may have mitral valve prolapse, which I have. I also have SVT. You should check out this website: www.mitralvalveprolapse.com

Good luck!

Ali

www.youravon.com/alisonlindsey