sharp intermittent pain question

iVillage Member
sharp intermittent pain question
Thu, 07-28-2005 - 11:28am
Hi, on the left side of my chest I occassionally for the past 2 weeks get a brief but sharp wave of pain. Lasts about 3 seconds or less. Can happen at any time. I went to the internist and they did an x-ray and while I didn't see the x-ray I asked if it was normal and he said yes. He said he wasn't worried and it sounds like inflammation of the cartlidge between the rib and sternum. He also said it could be stress/anxiety. I am under lots of stress. Have you heard this before. Should I get a stress test? He just said for inflammation take motrin. I am 35 and never had heart problems or lung problems before. I smoke on occassion.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2005 - 8:35pm
you should have an ekg at the minimum. an xray won't tell a doc how your heart is doing and if you aren't comfortable with the answer you've gotten, then by all means, ask for more tests.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2005 - 9:36pm
I have gotten similar pains for years now. I don't think it's anything to worry about. My doctors tell me it's muscular/skeletal. I, too, suffer from a great deal of anxiety and the pains hit when I'm having stessful episodes.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2005 - 4:23pm

Hi Shari2004,

In addition to the help you've already received here, you might want to also post on our Stress & Women board at:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhstress

One other thought would be to check out the possibility of GERD (acid reflux).

IVHealth Ruth Ann
Community Leader/Ask the Health Librarian

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2005 - 5:36pm
HI I haven't been here in a while, but wanted to say that I have similar pains, no burn, and my Dr has said it was GERD. He didn't test for it other than having me try Nexium for a while. It helps and I've learned alot from a book called Eating for Acid Reflux. You might want to have a stress test just to be sure that your heart is ok.
It can be worrisome.
Hope this helps,
Rhonda in CA