Lets get to know each other!!

iVillage Member
Lets get to know each other!!
Wed, 10-19-2005 - 3:23pm

My name is Melissa.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com   
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 11:16pm

Hi Melissa. I am Barb, I am 34. Last December, I had AVR (aortic valve replacement, open heart surgery), to finally take care of my bicuspid aortic valve.

I am CFBC (Child Free By Choice). I have 2 house cats, 3 Lab dogs, & at least 15 barn cats. I have been married for a little over a year and a half.

Lurkers - please share your story, no matter how irrelevant you may think it is. Someone else just might be in the same situation that you are!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 11:40pm
Nice to meet you Barb!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2005 - 1:14pm

HELLO BARb!! I am SOOO happy to see your posting! I am over 50 and just have been diagnosed with a Bicuspid Aortic Valve....haven't been able to find out much over the web about it....HELP! Can you enlighten me as to the following?: What is going to happen over time? I am not having any symptoms that I KNOW of, but now that I KNOW about THIS, I DO remember having mild anxiety, pressured hearbeats, etc. a few years ago and thought nothing of it...that it was just 'stress'. What are the symptoms when it is failing?

Also, what was the surgery like? I am not a baby surgerywise, but I am TERRIFIED of this thing! Was it terrible? Tolerable? Recovery?????

One more question....is there ANYTHING I can do to prolong the time before surgery is needed? I am tiny (102 lbs.), exercise all the time and eat very very well.....but is there anything ELSE I can do to slow this degeneration down? My doc said the valve already has some 'mild narrowing'.......can you enlighten me, please??? I am very scared about this new and VERY unexpected finding!
MsFit123@aol.com or sbcglobal.net

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2005 - 2:34pm

Welcome Msfit!!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-30-2005 - 1:35am

Hello! I was just surfing around and found your board. My name is Cheryl, I will be 51 next month, I have two grown daughters, Jennifer and Karen, two granddaughters Jamie & Jessie and one grandson Josh; my mother lives with me (76) and right now, my oldest, Jennifer has moved back in with me. I also have two kittens, Spike and Angel who are about 8 weeks old.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve that I am having checked for a second time around with a different doctor. My Cardiologist left the practice so I had to get a new one. Also, my father died last October from heart failure. It was when he was in the hospital that I got to know the surgeon that was to do my valve replacement. It turned out to be a good thing...because I ended up despising him. When my Dad was in the hospital, he was 86. This jerk of a surgeon asked him "how long he wanted to live, anyway?" That and several other conversations with him made me decide that he was not touching me! lol

Anyway, my family physician has sent me to another doctor about 35 miles away. I really like him. I am having to have some of the same tests done over, though, which I do not look forward to. Like the heart cath! So far, I have only seen him once...I have to have the ultra sound on my neck, then I see him again. The only real symptom I have is a very, very loud heart murmur. After all the tests the first time, they told me I have a bicuspid aortic valve. I had a heart murmur when I was about 6, and the pediatrician said it was an "innocent" one. Not. lol So....I am getting all the tests done again with a new doctor and that's my story! lol

By the way, my gynecologist found the murmur again. He asked me if my family physician never listened to my heart? lol I was getting ready to have a hysterectomy when he found it. I had lost tons of blood and my RBC was about 6. He thought that might be causing the murmur at first, but it was only making it worse.

I am glad to have found this board and look forward to talking to you!
Hugs,

Cheryl

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-30-2005 - 7:21am

I am so glad you found us.