only 20, missed beats....freaked out

iVillage Member
only 20, missed beats....freaked out
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 12:06am

well first a little background. I was completely fine until i was 14 when my grandmother died of a heart attack. then my body mutinied. i started having the sensation of skipped beats and flutters. extreme nervousness AKA: anxiety. I have a horrible fear of my heart. My heart skipped often for about 2 months along with the anxiety, then i went to church camp that year, and for whatever reason...they went away. fast forward to sixteen: i became pregnant...in my 7th month i just all of a sudden had a very fast heart rate. and extreme nervousness. attributed it to panic attack. i didn't have any episode again until a few months after oldest DD was born. then the skipped beats and flutters and panic came back with a vengence. Its pretty much constant, going in cycles of worse and better, kinda like ebb and flow. I had another baby girl 3 months ago, and the skipped beats and flutters have continued. About a month before delivery I had the episode of a racing heart and luckily had a Dr. appt the next day. So i told her about it and she listened to my heart and didn't seem concered. she said given my history and #'s i shouldn't be having problems, plus the fact that i was only 20. my heart has always had a good resting rate, and my blood pressure is fine. i am just over 10% of my ideal weight( ideal weight for my large frame is at max 169..10% would be 175 i am i 177), but still trying to lose. During labor i had the heart monitor for me and nothing abonormal came up at all. As i said I do have an extreme fear of the condition of my heart, and am pretty much nervous a lot and wondering when the next bout of palps will come again. They seem to like to come out of the blue just a real quick hard beat then a feeling that it skipped; i think thats called an extrasystole? i've read in a medical book that based on a research in England that palps are actually of common occurence in even the healthiest of people and pose no more of a threat than someone without them. But it still scares me its a very freaky feeling. recently i had bloodwork done to check thyroid, cholesterol, triglycerides, sugars, and a lot of other things and it's all A-OK. Dr. said only thing that was a little over were the triglycerides, to which she said to cut on the greasy stuff. Just last night while laying down getting ready to go to sleep it felt like my heart hit really hard then that same old feeling that it skipped except for hard beats . when i sat up and took a deep breath i was just fine. this doesn't happen very often. I'm so paranoid of everything, i used to do all types of sports; now i'm too scared too. i'm scared to go to sleep. just plain SCARED. i'm always stopping and sitting still trying to feel my heart and take my pulse. its just a habit now. does anyone have any suggestions? is it just my anxiety taking control? i was at the ER recently for a spider bite, and they did that heart monitor and BP check when they check you in and nothing weird and i was flipping out at that time too. No one seems to worried at all. Heart problems really don't run in my family. my grandmother did die of a heart attack she was over 61, a heavy smoker, and overweight. my grandfather on my dad's side had a suspected heart attack about 3 years ago, he's well into his 70's diabetic; but otherwise very active and healthy. someone please put my mind to ease so i can stop living my life in complete fear..

thanks,
ashley

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 8:49am

palps can be brought on by stress, but also by too much caffiene. How much caffienated soda do you drink in a day? How much coffee or tea??

Caffeine Calculator http://www.sleepfoundation.org/caffeine.html

As for the racing heart, have you checked your pulse during these times??

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 9:25am
a couple of years ago i cut out nearly all caffeine.the only caffeine i get is in tea and thats not very often. the racing heart seems to come on when im REALLY upset, but when it came on in my last pregnancy i just sat around freaking out about it. walking around taking deep breaths, etc. i was staying w/ my mom that night, so i got up to talk to her and soon as i stepped into her room the racing heart was gone. in an instant,like it never happened. does that mean it was in my head? i have seen counsellors, and i do have an RX for Zoloft, but even though the Zoloft made me feel better and more calmm i noticed more palps. is that a side effect? i stopped taking them..should i start again?
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 9:28am

Hi Ashley!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com   
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 9:32am
I also had to cut out caffiene, fat, grease, basically I eat pretty bland food now.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 9:39am
i've never checked to see if my BP was high when this occured. one time when i was having a particularly bad attack i was at my girls' sitter before work and she had a BP monitor and we checked it and my numbers weren't that high, i guess just alittle since i was freaking out. the only time my BP has been high that i know of was towards the end of my pregnancy, it wasn't that high, but as a precautionary they put me on bedrest for about 2 months. i'm glad to see someone else goes through the samething as me. is your husband getting better melissa?
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2005 - 1:14pm
Yes he is getting better.