A hearty recipe
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 10-21-2005 - 9:53am|
Here’s a hearty vegetarian dish that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 red onions, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, cut across in half
- 10 ounces rigatoni or penne
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup sharp reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons coarse mustard
- Salt and pepper
Preparation time | 20 minutes
Cooking time | about 1 hour
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the squash and red onions in a large roasting pan and sprinkle with the garlic. Drizzle with the oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat the vegetables with the oil, then place the pan in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the oven and add the leeks and asparagus. Toss gently, then return to the oven. Roast until all the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to the package instructions, or until al dente, about 10–12 minutes.
4. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Measure 4 tablespoons of the milk into a medium bowl, add the flour, and stir to make a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan until almost boiling. Stir the hot milk into the flour mixture, then return to the saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Remove the sauce from the heat and add about 2/3 of the cheese and the mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove the pan of roasted vegetables from the oven. Drain the pasta, add it to the vegetables, and gently stir to combine. Stir in the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top. Return to the oven and bake until golden and bubbling, about 10–15 minutes. Serve hot.
Each serving provides| Calories 476, fat 7 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 9 mg, sodium 223 mg, carbohydrates 82 g, fiber 6 g, protein 22 g