New...with questions

iVillage Member
New...with questions
Mon, 11-28-2005 - 4:17pm

I am 37 years old, I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am also about 100 lbs. overweight. I have a family history of heart disease. I have been experiencing a "fluttering" sensation for about one year. It usually lasted only seconds. About a month ago, this fluttering lasted for about 30 seconds...I wasn't in any pain, but felt a bit lightheaded. I saw my dr., who sent me to the cardiologist for a holter monitor. The results showed "ventricular tachycardia". I saw the cardiologist again last week, and he has me set up for a stress echocardiogram. He said if they can't find out what is causing the tachycardia, they would have to do an electrophysiology study on me. From what I've read about that on WebMD, that is a test I really don't want to have. If these fluttery skipped beats were having an impact on my life, I might be more agreeable to the test. Fortunately that's not the case.

Needless to say, this, along with a very passionate cardiologist's lecture, has really scared the $%@& out of me! I have decided that now is the time to get serious about losing weight. I am sure that will help to some degree.

I really know so very little about how the heart works and what exactly is causing this problem. If anyone out there has any experience or ideas on where I could find a clear explanation, please let me know. If anyone has had an electrophysiology study, I would like to know what it was like. Thanks so much and best of health to everyone!

Anne

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-28-2005 - 9:38pm

Hi Anne and welcome.

I never had the electrophysiology study.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com