New to this site

iVillage Member
New to this site
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 10:30pm

Hi there!

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 2:05am
Hi Melody and welcome to the board. I don't have any advice since I don't have high blood pressure. I have high cholestrol. Hopefully someone here can answer your question for you.

Photobucket

Photobucket       &
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 11:27am

Hi Melody;

I checked Ramitril on the internet and see it's an ACE inhibitor. I've been taking Apo-Fosinopril (generic Monopril), another ACE inhibitor, for about ten years, and have noticed no side effects at all. I was really concerned when my doctor insisted I go on meds for high blood pressure, after many years of fluctuating high-normal to high to normal bp. When my hands had been tingly and numb for a few weeks I went to the Dr., who found that my bp was dangerously high, so she insisted I take something. The monopril worked well at first- the numbness and tingling went away after a couple of days- but then my bp started to rise again, so she added a diuretic, hydrochlorothiazide. I've changed dosage of each of the two drugs, but except for having to pee more often, and sensitivity to the sun (which is a side effect of many drugs) I haven't had any trouble with side effects. I had a stroke in May and since then my bp went up again, so my Dr. replaced the hydrocholrothiazide with Indapamide, another diuritic. I'm still on the ACE inhibitor, and my bp is very good now. My Dr. suggested I consider yoga, but the physiotherapist said I should concentrate on weight-bearing exercise instead of yoga - he said "You don't need to be more flexible - you're floppy enough!"

My husband is on atenolol for an irregular heart beat. It had bothered him most of his life, but last year it got much worse and his dr. said that it should be treated. At first he got a very uncomfortable rash, which may have been caused by the drug, by a different fabric softener we had begun using a few weeks before, or by being generally run down. His cardiologist suggested that he stop the atenolol for a week, then try it again, taking one pill every second day for a week. If the rash reappeared he would try prescribing the brand-name atenolol to replace the generic version. I stopped using the fabric softener and switched to a detergent for sensitive skin. When DH began the atenolol again he did not get a rash, and he hasn't had any more problems with it, or with the irregular heart beat. He was on atenolol and propranolol a few years ago, when he had a life-threatening SVT after his second heart-valve surgery. He was on the propranalol for three months, and the atenolol for six months. While he was taking both drugs together he felt tired and very weak when standing or sitting up suddenly, but he'd also had major heart surgery. The atenolol alone didn't bother him.

So my experience with an ACE inhibitor (generic monopril) has been good. I've changed dosage a few times but I haven't noticed any reactions or side effects.

Good luck with your new medication and yoga program.

Roberta

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 4:10pm

Hi there!

Thank you for your speedy reply!

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 10:56pm

Photobucket

Hello, Melody!! It'so nice to meet you! (Don't worry about the "wordy" post... We love 'em!) I have no personal experience with Ramitril, but I do have problems with high blood pressure. I also have genetic high cholesterol. I do try different things to try and become more healthy... I'm presently losing weight and I feel a ton better already. It's a struggle to do any physical exercise because of my Spinal Stenosis, plus arthritic spine. (Yeah, I have a wealth of health issues!)

Anyway, I do hope the other posters were able to give you some answers to your questions. Heart health issues can strike at any time, any age. Folow your doctor's suggestions, take good care of yourself and you should be okay. Here are a couple of resources that you might find interesting.... Genetics Influence Blood Pressure Medications and High Blood Pressure Runs in Families.

I'll be looking forward to getting to know you better! Thanks for posting!

Gentle Holiday Hugs, Geri

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 12:02pm

Hi Melody;

I'm not taking Ramitril, but Monopril (actually, the generic form, Apo-Fosinopril), another ACE inhibitor. Some of the side effects or interactions may be different, but my experience with the ACE inhibitor Monopril has been positive, so another ACE inhibitor might behave similarly in my body. Everyone is unique, and what works for me might not work for you.

I was taking both Monopril and Hydrochlorothiazide when I had my stroke in May, but when I'd checked my blood pressure at the drug store about a week before it wasn't terribly high - I think it was 140/90. I think that what brought on the stroke was a bladder infection that was discovered in the hospital. When I began the antibiotic for the UTI, the room stopped spinning around, after about 24 hours of spinning like demented carousel. Unfortunately, it didn't help me to move my right leg, and after all the dizziness vanished I discovered that I had double vision! The doctor said that strokes can sometimes be caused by a clump of bacteria, and that bladder infections can cause all sorts of terrible problems as we get older - I'm 61. When I saw my doctor about a month later she changed my diuretic to Indapamide but kept me on the Monopril. Two weeks ago by bp was 120/70!

As far as questions about alcohol, ask your doctor, and also a pharmacist. Pharmacists often have more current information about medications than doctors, and will sometimes suggest questions I should ask my doctor. I wasn't warned specifically about alcohol,and the patient information sheet on Monopril doesn't mention alcohol, but since you do relax with a glass or two of wine, ask just to be sure. I don't drink alcohol anyway - a few sips of any kind of alcohol make my heart pound, race, and try to jump out my chest. When I was about 30 I decided that I was old enough to forgo that experience, even though almost everyone else seemed to equate alcohol with fun. As I said, everyone is unique, and responds to things differently.

Good luck!

Roberta

Edited 12/15/2008 12:04 pm ET by robertas3
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2008 - 9:33am
Welcome back!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 10:52am
I also used to use iVillage 9 years ago. I was diagnosed maybe 6-8 years ago with arrythmia. I take Rythmol 3 times a day which has controlled it somewhat. Lately I've had a few extra beats and will tell my cardiologist. Is a return of extra beats normal? It surprised me.
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 2:32pm

Melody and others,

My first posting here!

Regarding medications, I am on the following:
Aspirin
Corex
Plavix (blood thinner)
Famotidine (Pepcid/anti acid)
Lasix
Lisinopril
Niacin (to lower cholesterol)
Zocor (to lower cholesterol)
Cumodin (Warfarin/blood thinner)

I had an angioplasty with 2 stents in August 2004, then a heart attack in July 2007 caused with a clot on one of the stent that was 'replaced', then another heart attack (also caused by a clot in the other original stent) in February this year followed by a congestive heart failure in April.
Following the last heart attach I was diagnosed with peripheral claudication in my legs and had a large stent installed in the iliac area (left groin).
Following my first heart attack last year I have been on a Cardiac Rehabilitation program where I have been on a threadmill and using a number of fitness machines 3 times a week, in addition to bicycling at least a couple of times a week, weather permitting.

I have had mild medication problems three times:
- When one doctor changed my high blood pressure medication (symptoms; severe tingling and cramp in both arms. Cure; back to Tenormin.)
- When one of my medications was changed to another brand while I was in the hospital (symptoms; tingling in my face that spread to my torso and arms within about 5 minutes. (Cure; back to my regular brand.)
- I was taken off Plavix too early and that in conjunction with missing my Aspirin for about a week was the probable cause of my first heart attack -- according to my doctor(s)

I hate to take medications even though they do not make me sick. I have researched alternate methods, but I am not quite ready to take that plunge yet.

The first angioplasty procedure and the following two heart attacks were no big deals beyond the initial discomfort. According to the cardiologists, in all cases the time between first symptoms, the ambulance trip and the stent procedure was short enough so the heart had not been permanently damaged. The congestive heart failure scared the hell out of me, because I could not breathe. That did slightly damage the left ventricle of my heart, although the 6 month echocardiogram follow-up indicate that my rejection factor is up to about 40% (55 to 90% is considered a satisfactory range). I believe that this is the cause of my limited stamina, but what the heck -- at 75 one has the right to be tired!

I had been on Tenormin for borderline high blood pressure for about 20 years and never really been sick until the Aug 04 incident.

I consider myself lucky and the main reason for this long epistle is to encourage all of you with recent heart problems to hang in there! A change of life style will probably be necessary, bet that is a positive thing. I had never been much in favor of exercise and my eating habits (in between marriages) were not conducive to a healthy life. That has all changed and I have to admit that after all the calamities I still feel pretty damned good!

Somebody asked about "a glass of wine on Friday". Go right ahead! I have been under close scrutiny by a number of doctors the last 3-4 years and I have asked every one of them about alcohol consumption. None of them said "no alcohol" and from there it went up to "in moderation, but preferably not more then two drinks a day". So the last one is obviously whom I listened to! Not to say that I have a drink or two a day, but generally several per week. I do know, from two instances, that there will be a collision between the alcohol and my medications IF I take the pills within a couple of hours of mild over indulgence. Symptoms; starts like a mild shaking and getting progressively worse -- like being out in really cold weather in your PJ's! The first time it happened I had my son take me to the ER, when suddenly "the shakes" disappeared. Symptoms last 15 - 30 minutes. And no -- I am not an alcoholic by any means, I just like an occasional beer or drink.

Live well and take care of yourself!

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-21-2008 - 11:16pm

Photobucket

Hi, Anne_b_71!! In answer to your question, yes. Unfortunately, extra beats can return. I've only had one serious problem with arrythmia, but I was informed by my cardiologist that it may occur again or it may not. So far, I've been very lucky. I'm wishing you the best of everything and do return when you can to give us an update!

Happy Holidays!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-21-2008 - 11:24pm

Photobucket

Wow! You've really had it all, haven't you?! I read your post with interest and I thank you for your input! I'm especially pleased to know that you're doing so well now.

>>I consider myself lucky and the main reason for this long epistle is to encourage all of you with recent heart problems to hang in there! A change of life style will probably be necessary, bet that is a positive thing. I had never been much in favor of exercise and my eating habits (in between marriages) were not conducive to a healthy life. That has all changed and I have to admit that after all the calamities I still feel pretty damned good!<<

I want to thank you, too, for adding such a

Photobucket