accelerated heart rate after eating

iVillage Member
accelerated heart rate after eating
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 12:22pm
Over the past few weeks, I have had a problem of accelerated heart rate 15 minutes to 30 minutes after eating. It can even reccur after a couple of hours although not as strong. My heart rate before eating is around 65 beats per minute and can go beyond 100 beats per minute after eating sitting at rest in just a matter of minutes. The problem is worse after eating certain carbohydrates or salt. If I eat more food, the problem is worse but even very small amounts of food cause the problem. I went to the emergency room last week after a terrible attack and they did tests and everything was good: blood, heart rate, heart sonograms, etc. (of course, I hadn't eaten anything during my overnight stay at the hospital). The medications I take are 81 mg of aspirin and 40 mg of Zocor for my cholesterol. Maybe my medication is playing a role even though I stopped all medication for 5 days and the problem continued. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing? I made an appointment to see an allergist to see what he has to say about all this.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 8:39pm

Hi. Have you spoke to a cardiologist about this? Did you tell them at the hosital that it happens after you have eaten?

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 10:06pm

Reality2008, welcome to HH!! I'm very pleased to meet you!

Rhonda is correct in that a normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per. At this point in time, I don't think that there is reason for alarm. However, you really should speak with a cardiologist. (I'm confused as to why you will be seeing an allergist.) There may be other reasons, of course, why you're feeling a faster heart rate after eating. Salt and caffiene can raise blood pressure and that may be what's going on. Are you perhaps

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 6:17pm

The doctor at the hospital that gave me the heart sonograms, treadmill, etc. was a cardiologist. My heart and blood are fine. That's why I think it may be an allergy to certain food or certain substances in food. Today I am starting to believe that the problem is sodium because I haven't had any sodium in my food today (I check labels for sodium content) and I feel much better. I'll keep everyone posted.