Question about my heart

iVillage Member
Question about my heart
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 11:21pm
Hi. I had open heart surgery when I was about 4 days old. My mom passed away when I was a child, so I don't know exactly for what. She told me when I was younger, and I think it had something to do with a valve. I'm 25 now, and up until now I haven't had a single problem. When I was preg with DS (2005) they checked my heart and said everything looked perfect. Well as of lately, like that past couple months, when I get really upset or stressed my heart will beat really really hard and skip a beat here and there. Then after I get calmed down it will hurt. Sometimes on the left side, sometimes on the right side. I have a dr appt the 29 of this month. Should I mention this to my dr? I'm sure I should, I just hate the thought of tests and such. I'm scared really. My mom passed away when she was 41 from heart failure. Wondering if anyone experiences something similar and hoping its nothing serious.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 8:13pm

Hi, Bluesky, and welcome to Heart Health!!

Because you say that whenever you're under stress or upset you experience chect pain, I would ordinarliy tell you it may be due to stress alone. Stress can be a big factor in how our heart "behaves." However, taking in the fact that you were born with a heart defect and that your mom passed away with heart failure, I'm going to urge you to speak with your doctor asap. Issues with the heart do not discriminate against age or gender. And it IS the #1 killer of women.

I'll tell you my story as briefly as I can... I had a problem with high cholesterol and my doctor knew that. He never once mentioned my seeing a cardiologist. When I changed doctors and told him of my shortness of breath, he immediately ordered tests. Bingo. One artery was 100% plugged, with a second one being at 30%. My heart had made it's own bypass. When I went in for a checkup some months later, it was found that the previously 30% artery was 100% plugged! Again, my heart had made it's own bypass. Because of the natural bypasses, surgery was not recommended because - in the words of my cardio - "What isn't broken cannot be fixed." The most amazing thing is that I've never had a heart attack.

I'm not too certain why you're experiencing pain on both sides. If it's a heart problem, you should be feeling the pain more in the center of your chest. Regardless, we all are different and this isn't something you should just "blow off." You have a history of heart problems and that's something your doctor needs to get serious about. (And tests are not that bad to go through. I know it's scary, but you'll be just fine.)

We're here if we can help in any way. We're a great support team, too!

Heart Hugs, Geri

Photobucket