When Should I Call the Doctor?

iVillage Member
When Should I Call the Doctor?
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 1:28am

I had my EP study on Thursday. The doctor discovered my arrhythmia was too close (< 1 cm) from my heart's natural electrical center so he didn't do the ablation. Because I have a clotting problem, they had a really hard time getting my bleeding to stop (it took over an hour of constant pressure). I'm bruised from the top of my thigh all the way to my hip (I can actually see black and dark blue handprints!). I saw the doctor today and he says that bruising is common.

So here are my questions:

Off and on since Saturday I've been having pains in my chest. It's not a huge pain and but it's still there. I would describe it as a stabbing pain at maybe a 2 or 3 but after a while it starts to wear on me. I can feel it from the front of my chest and in the back, middle to the left side - maybe radiating out a bit. I saw the doctor today but since I wasn't in pain when I saw him, I forgot about the pain. He did an EKG and it was normal. So, I feel kind of dumb at the thought of calling him. Should I call anyway?

How long does the insertion site stay sore? Mine is better but it still feels like something's going to pop loose when I stand up.

Bruising - about how long does it last?

Thanks,

Rhonda
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 5:10pm

Hi Rhonda....love your name...lol

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 9:00pm

Hello, Blessdlady, and welcome to the Heart Health board!!

I can give you a few ideas on what may be going on, but please know that I am not a medical professional. The best information can only come from your doctor. And I encourage you to speak with him asap.

For some of us, there may be signs and symptoms, but by the time we go for tests, everything may seem absolutely normal. Your EKG may not have shown anything out of the ordinary at that time.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2009 - 7:49pm

Wow - your mom gave you a lovely name!

Thanks, I think I'm going to have to call my doc anyway. I'm still experiencing discomfort and I this evening I noticed 2 small knots at the site the put the catheter in. Since I had the procedure on Thursday, I ordinarily wouldn't worry about that but I didn't have a knot at all before, they had a really hard time stopping my bleeding and I have a clotting disorder. I hate calling him so I'm going to try to wait to see if anything changes. In the meantime, my groin is still sore as heck. I will NOT agree to another one of these anytime soon.

Rhonda
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2009 - 7:55pm

Thanks Geri,

I've done the Holter (over 5,000 extra beats in a 24 hour period). My latest EKG was normal (thank God) and I think that's sort of why I'm hesitating to call the doctor. Before that, I was in the hospital last month for the extra beats. Hospital protocol is to admit you when you come in with chest pain for 24 hours. I know it sounds silly but I REFUSE to be admitted again unless I'm feeling really cruddy. I'm praying that it doesn't get any worse.

Rhonda
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2009 - 8:23pm
You're very welcome, but I know I wasn't much help. I really hope you

Photobucket