Shift Work

iVillage Member
Shift Work
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 9:54am

iVillage Member
In reply to: jonky5
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 11:33am
Welcome to the Heart Health message board!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-19-2009 - 8:23pm

Welcome to the board!! I'm glad you found us!

First, I don't think you're getting proper sleep at all. 5 to 7 hours may not be enough for you. Secondly, it's very important to eat right, exercise, maintain a healthy weight and have a diet low in fats. 30 pounds overweight doesn't seem like much, but it could have drastic consequences along with your not getting adequate sleep and exercise. I'm going to jump in here and say that you may get along just fine with everything you're doing now,

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 7:24pm

One thing I think was missed in the responses to the original poster. Unless I misunderstood him.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 8:52pm

Auntydoxzz, welcome tothe Heart Health board!

The information I gave the original poster was intended for night shift workers, that including swing shift and midnight shift. If the poster does not have the opportunity to make a few lifestyles changes, then I'm all out of suggestions. He would best be served by seeking his doctor's opinion.

Everything you said in your reply does make sense and I thank you for your input!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-23-2009 - 1:21pm

I posted mainly because although 3rd shift is involved personally I think swing shift is much much more extremely hard on bodies because of the constant changes!! I bet if the researchers literally divided those working just 3rd shift and put the swing shift people in another group th swing shift group would show much more problems! I have not ever worked swing shift as such although at one point i did waitress part times 3rd shift, and then part of the week I also drove air freight truck day shift but it was consistent from week to week even though parts of the week varied from other parts of the week.