update on frustrating dr appts

iVillage Member
update on frustrating dr appts
Sat, 02-21-2009 - 2:20pm

I posted a couple message a couple months ago about an arrhythmia and doctors that were not listening to me. Just wanted to provide an update at least for Geri since you've asked...

I went to see another cardiologist a few weeks ago who came highly recommended by someone who demands what she deserves from doctors, so I was very hopeful. Let's just say he blew me off before I even got there. I never even received history forms to fill out. His solution was to "get off all your medications and start an exercise program". Among many other things he said that I didn't appreciate.

Since then, I've decided to go to Mayo Clinic. I called the cardiology dept. to make an appt. They told me to fax my records to them... they'd have a dr. review them and make a recommendation, and then they would call back to set up the appointment. I faxed the records, and within 2 hours I got the call back to schedule an appointment. Much faster than they told me it would be. :) They sent me the appointment schedule, and I see that I will be seeing a dr. in the heart failure clinic. I already feel like I'm being taken more seriously. My appt. there is at the end of March, so not too far away.

Thanks for helping to push me to keep searching for some answers. I sure hope this trip to Mayo will be worth it. I can say from previous experience there that they are very thorough, more proactive than most, and want to answer all of your questions so you understand. That's what I'm looking for.

Community Leader
Sat, 02-21-2009 - 7:00pm
One of the things I was experiencing was not being taken too seriously by my family doctor until he realized how high my cholesterol was...gave me a script realized after my heart attack that it was definitely serious.
I am frustrated to with doctor's appts and thank god the heart guy I see now (he was at the hospital) makes me feel validated, cared for.
I am dealing with a lot of health concerns but finally feel I am being listened to.
Since going to my heart guy more tests and blood-work have been done.
People have been so tremendously kind to me.
I have had x-rays, and so many other tests and blood-work but feel less frustrated with my family doctor (lucky and grateful to have ONE...) but it made me realize how much we have to educate and advocate.
~hugs~
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 8:56pm

And I thank you so much for the update! I have never been to a Mayo Clinic, but they have a great reputation. I'm so glad that you may finally get some results and I wish you well! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.

With Heart Hugs ~

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 8:59pm

Hey, Nightangel! It's good to see you! Wow, you had some good news and I was thrilled to read it!

>> but it made me realize how much we have to educate and advocate. << You are so right on!

Keep in touch. I'd like to know how you're doing!

With Heart Hugs ~

Photobucket

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 11:03pm
~hugs~
Thanks!
This has been the ONE positive, finding my heart guy.
After the heart attack he has basically been there.
At the hospital and at his office things are explained.
He was with me during my echocardiogram, and my stress test. (I had a asthma attack)
The hospital staff were wonderful.
Going through all this has been scary for my ds and dd and me but I am taking my meds and have done my part reducing cholesterol and cutting back on my salt (sodium) intake and read the LABELS on everything.
My ds thinks I had ALREADY been doing my best to ensure he eats healthy.
He jokes about my healthy snack choices.
By taking care of ourselves we are teaching our kids and our families and friends how important it really is.
Nightangel
Nightangel