Middle ear infection?

iVillage Member
Middle ear infection?
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 5:55pm

Dizziness woke me up yesterday morning. The room was spinning out of control. My first thought was middle ear infection, since I had experienced one of those a few years ago. As I moved around (getting out of bed, going potty, etc.), the dizziness became worse and I almost fell a couple of times. I couldn't even read the newspaper because I couldn't get my eyes to focus. I'm stubborn about going to the doctor until I realize I don't have any other choice, so I thought I'd wait my dizziness out. Headaches were coming and going and every time I moved, it felt like I was going to pass out. When I began vomiting, I told dh that I was ready to go. He drove me to the ER, where they took blood and did all the things ERs usually do. My ear infection prior caused me to be dizzy, but not nauseated nor headachy.

The doctor said he thought it was a middle ear infection, though he couldn't tell for sure. My blood work came back a-okay. I'm taking a prescription drug for the dizziness and the doc said that if I wasn't any better in a week to 10 days, then he'd order an MRI. Today is somewhat better. At least I can see the keyboard and monitor without feeling dizzy, which I couldn't do yesterday. Moving too quickly or stooping over cause the dizziness to become severe.

Anyway, I got to thinking that for about the last month, I've had difficulty in maintaining my balance and I seem to drop almost everything I pick up. It's been really frustrating. Anyone have experience or knowledge about middle ear infections?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 7:43pm

Hi Geri,

I'm sooooo sorry to hear of what you are going through. I don't have any experience with inner ear infections. So I can't be of any help there. I'm not sure I would wait a week for further tests though

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 11:33am

I had similar symptoms last May, except for headaches - my head got extremely hot for awhile. After about 17 hours I let DH phone the Dr. and then the ambulance.

Based on my experience, have you been evaluated for:

Bladder or UTI infection?
Stroke?

I had both!

When I was in the ER for the dizziness and vomiting a urine test showed blood and an infection (news to me - I hadn't noticed the usual symptoms). Shortly after I had the first meds for the bladder infection the room stopped spinning!

When the neurologist checked me - because of the dizziness - I couldn't lift my right leg. That's

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 6:22pm
Do you have swimmer's ear?