I had the MRI on Thursday

iVillage Member
I had the MRI on Thursday
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 10:52pm

I was a little nervous about the MRI, but I came through it unscathed. 8^) In preparing for entering the tube (which might be more accurately described as the tomb!), the technician said I'd go in and then come back out to have the dye put in my veins and then go back in again. That was music to my ears. NOT! I'm claustrophobic, but I've had MRIs before, so I knew what to expect. I kept my eyes open for the ride to the inside...Big mistake! I quickly closed them, but the damage had been done. I came really, really close to begging him to let me out - even screaming. I managed to put my mind elsewhere, however, and that helped immensely.

As I came back out of the tube, I saw the tech had a needle in his fingers. I told him that he would have to use a butterfly and go in on the back of my hand. (My veins run and hide when they know they're likely to get stabbed.) His words were; "I think we got all we needed and so we'll just forego the dye." I gasped.

Did he mean that he thought there wasn't a problem or that there IS a problem? I probably won't get the results of the MRI until late in the week, so I'll be on pins and needles until I learn something.

The dizzy spells have ceased and all that's left now are the headaches that come and go. And I'm good to go after all the hoopla of the past couple of weeks.

Heart Hugs!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-24-2009 - 10:53am

Geri. Sorry the MRI was so awful for you. I haven't had an MRI yet, so I don't know anything about them.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-24-2009 - 1:30pm
UGH, I hated my MRI's, I have had 2 so far and neither of them were fun. Did they not sedate you at all? I was given benedryl and Reglan(spelling?) to keep me from throwing up before the first one. Then they gave me Adavan before the 2nd one and it made me throw up like crazy so the went back to the other 2 drugs. I would ask for those next time( hopefully there won't be a next time!) Best of luck!
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-24-2009 - 3:57pm
Hi, Rhonda. Many people don't mind an MRI, but to me, it's like being buried alive. You go in this tube and your arms touch the sides and the top of the tube is right there in your face. You couldn't move, if you wanted to. They don't have open MRIs here. Ours is a portable in a truck that comes to town every Tuesday and Thursday. I'm hoping to hear the results yet this week, so I'll be posting about it. Thanks for the prayers! Very much needed.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-24-2009 - 4:07pm
In the larger cities, they can sedate you and they have music to drown out some of the banging and loud tapping. Ours here is a mobile unit in a truck and there aren't any "extras." I've had time to reflect on the whole process and I'm fully confident now that results will be good. Thanks so much for

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:53pm

So what kind of results did you get from the MRI, Geri?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 9:59pm
No results back, yet, of the MRI. I'm fully confident that the news will be okay, but the waiting is terrible. I just had blood drawn when I went to the ER, so that was indeed done. Your P & PTs are very much appreciated!

Photobucket