• About once a week
  • A couple of times a month
  • Less than once a month
  • Never

You will be able to change your vote.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 2:40pm
Hello, everyone! I'm new here. :) I'm Gypsy: I'm 62 and I had open heart surgery on March 18th, having 3 blood vessels grafted to my heart because 3 were totally clogged so no stenting was even possible, plus I had an aneurysm patch and dead heart muscle removed.

I do NOT now, and will not EVER be eating fast food again in this lifetime, much less the high cholesterol high fat high sodium foods in most restaurants these days. :O I started a new lifestyle, fortunately, 9 months ago w/ Weight Watchers, and will be sticking to that eating plan now that I reached goal in weight loss (just before my surgery). :)

Has anyone else had my type surgery?

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Community Leader
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 7:27pm

Hi, Gypsy, and a big welcome to the board!! Uhhh, I think we know one another, right? 8^)

Wow, you've had a lot going on with heart issues! The good news is, you are on your way to a much healthier lifestyle. I have to admit, I still eat hamburgers at McDonald's and Wendy's. (Hanging my head in shame.) I'm glad that Weight Watchers is working for you. As for having had your kind of surgery, I have to say I haven't. I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease a few years ago and have had a stent placement in my groin. My heart has made 2 of it's own bypasses, for which I'm VERY grateful, of course. So far, I've managed to avoid a heart attack, but I have had issues with my blood pressure, as well as angina and an arrhythmia.

I'm so glad you found us here and I hope we'll be seeing much more of you! Thank you for posting and take good care of YOU!

Heart Hugs, Geri

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 11:37am
Hi, back! :)) Yes, I remember when you were CL for the Pet Debates board, right? And I've seen you on the dog boards at times, too, I think. I still hang out on those boards these days, although not as often. :P

My heart surgery came as an unexpected surprise... I went in for pre-surgery tests for a parathyroidectomy (benign tumor on one of my parathyroid glands that was causing too much calcium to be dumped into my blood). I flunked that EKG in late January. :O So, they did a radio isotope test (I've had knee issues, and refused to risk my knees on a treadmill) and it showed I'd had a heart attack some time ago (no symptoms at all that I noted, no pain, no nothing). They ordered a cardiac catheterization which I had the first week of March. That showed the 3 vessels clogged so bad they couldn't stent, and dead heart muscle from a heart attack some time in the past. So, the surgeon came to see me, explained he would take 3 vessels from my thigh and graft them to my heart, remove the dead heart muscle and put an aneurysm patch on the area. He was flabbergasted, as were the docs from the catheterization, all standing around my gurney, that I'd had never had pain or symptoms of any kind, and that I was currently sustaining 100-120 min. DAILY brisk walks with my dog! Which I had built up to while on Weight Watchers for the past 9 months, and losing 80 lbs. The surgeon said I would be a successful candidate for this surgery, and because of my healthy sustained lifestyle thanks to WW, I would come back strong. He said within 6 months I would be walking my dog 2 hrs. a day again, and beyond that. I intend to get back on my bicycle and within a year, do another 100K riding event (about 60 miles). The doc said no problem! ;)) So, whatever intuition drove me to finally do something about my weight and joint pain by going to WW, actually prepared me to face this surgery. Amazing how things sometimes work out, isn't it? ;)

Thank you so much for the welcome. I'll come back to visit! :)) Have a great weekend and enjoy being out in some beautiful weather (hopefully). Our rainy weather has cleared up out here in California, and we have sunshine now. DH, Mika dog and I had a beautiful walk yesterday. I made 70 minutes, over 2 miles. I am half way there to being back up to regular walk lengths! WOOT! :P I am walking at half my pace, though, and monitoring my heart rate through the walks with a wrist monitor, to stay within the guidelines the doc has set for me for now. I can't handle the leash with Mika right now. I have to wait 6-8 weeks after surgery, just like I do from driving. That's not that long away! ;))

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,