Many Who Should Use Statins Don't

iVillage Member
Many Who Should Use Statins Don't
Sat, 04-25-2009 - 2:54pm

>>Many Who Should Use Statins Don't<

- SATURDAY, April 25 (HealthDay News) -- Nearly half of the Americans who meet the criteria for taking cholesterol-lowering statins aren't taking the drug, a national survey indicates

"There is a definite gap between medical evidence and practice," said Dr. Erica S. Spatz, an internist in the Yale University Robert Wood Johnson Medical Scholar Program. She was to report the finding Saturday at an American Heart Association meeting in Washington, D.C.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 12:20pm
My doctor tried to put me on a statin drug just over a year ago, long before we knew there were problems with my heart. I have been on blood pressure meds since my daughter was born 27 years ago, and get blood work yearly for cholesterol, among other things. Last year my doc recommended a statin. I tried it for a few days, got diarrhea and quite taking it. I also read that there have been anecdotal cases of people losing mental functioning (displaying some Alzheimer type symptoms) when on statin drugs for the long term, and that when taken off the drugs, regained their mental functioning. I saw a reference 6 months ago that they have begun some long term medical testing of people on these drugs, to see if this is indeed a possible long term side effect of being on a statin drug. It will be several years before the results are available, of course. In any case, I refused the drug, but subsequently joined Weight Watchers, and within 4 months, my cholesterol readings were in the normal ranges again, and are noweven lower, since I reached goal with WW and continue eating a healthy low fat diet, along with daily exercise, to maintain my weight loss. All without the use of a statin drug.

Ironically, statins are also heart supportive, according to my Cardiologist, and so they put me on the drugs after my heart surgery. :(( I am not happy about it, but knowing the newer drugs I have to take now to support my heart (and control blood pressure), and keep it healthy after surgery, will preserve all the good work the surgeons did for me, my perspective is a little different than it was before as to the possibility of a risk of losing my mental functioning. I am *NOT* happy about having to take the statin, not knowing for sure about the risks, but my family is on high alert to notice any deterioration and get me to the doc to evaluate the drugs I am on as a first step. Being 62 with gray hair, I do not want assumptions being made because of my age, but I want any loss investigated as it could be caused by the Rx's I am on. So I have very mixed feelings about pushing these statin drugs as a matter of course, as some kind of "miracle" drug on people, especially older people. At least until the current in progress studies about possible loss of mental functioning, tell us something definitive.

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 5:32pm
Awesome post! Just thought I'd tel you that I also have gray hair (under this colored red) and I'm 62, also. I have another birthday coming up soon, too.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 10:18pm

Geri. First let me say that i'm surprised to find out that you are 62 years young....I've always pictured you as being in your 40's. You know how you get mental pictures of people....LOL

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 10:26pm
I just turned 62 in early March, two weeks before my heart surgery. :P Heck of a BD present, huh? LOLOL! :D So, I get to stay 62 for a long while yet... my DD is going to color some of my gray in emerald green highlights, to mix in with my brunette that's left. :D Happy almost Birthday!! ;))

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,