Anyone concerned about the Swine Flu?

iVillage Member
Anyone concerned about the Swine Flu?
Sat, 04-25-2009 - 3:07pm

I really hadn't given it much thought, but now that more news is coming to the forefront about this flu, I'm beginning to wonder just a little. What do you think?

MEXICO CITY —

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 12:03pm
There are no fatal cases here in the U.S., so far, that I have read in the news as of this morning. I feel for the poor people in Mexico and their families, of those who have died. I am glad they are restricting by closing schools, museums, etc., and cautioning people about mingling, etc. The articles I have been reading in the past several days indicate the WHO and our own CDC are puzzled as to why this outbreak is proving fatal to people in Mexico, but not elsewhere. I am tracking news stories and concerned they will declare this a pandemic, and shut down country borders, travel access, and so forth, to try to contain the spread. I am glad we have the medical technology we do today, to fight something like this! There are many careless people who do not cover their mouths/noses when sneezing, etc., and I avoid crowds as much as possible, and stay back from obviously sick people in waiting rooms at my health plan facility's labs or waiting rooms, always, as a general precautionary, when having to go where there are lots of people around me.

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 5:21pm
I think it does pay to be extra careful, but I don't think it's anything we should panic over. If we went into a panic about everything happening in our world today, we'd be so stressed that all of us would end up in a rubber room.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 12:01am
I agree -- common sense is needed, not panic. Although, I have to admit I'd be feeling panicky if I were in Mexico City! How scary for everyone there! :O They had updates on the TV evening news, and one woman said she had a vacaion planned, plane reservations made, etc., TO MEXICO!!! I think for next week? And she was going to go anyway. Said she didn't want to give up her vacation with her husband. And in the next sentence, said she was *pregnant,* too! I don't understand deliberately going where people are dying, the gov't closing schools, museums, etc., can you? Amazing to me. :O I hope and pray they can save lives and figure out what to do, so more people don't die, and this doesn't really become a pandemic.

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-28-2009 - 4:11pm

I, for one, am SO SICK AND TIRED of all the fear-mongering going on every day of our lives. For one thing, people die every day, people get sick every day, it's a

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-28-2009 - 10:55pm
I was not worried until my kids had flu symptoms today and the school said they can't come back until the doc says they don't have swine flu. We went to the doc and the did a nasal flush to test and we should find out in the morning. As of tonight they are feeling a bit better than they did this morning.

:)
Suzanne
http://www.OnMomsTime.com
Helping You Work From Home! http://www.OnMomsTime.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 1:15pm

I found some updates on the Swine Flu and the baby that died this morning that you might be interested in reading.