Starting new Multifit heart program...

iVillage Member
Starting new Multifit heart program...
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 11:56pm
Tomorrow will be interesting. :) I am enrolled in a special program with my health care plan for post heart surgery patients. There are 3 2-hr. meetings, one a week, then nurses follow up by phone for up to a year to see how we are doing. We'll get periodic cholesterol blood tests to see how we are doing about living and eating a healthy lifestyle for our hearts, too. Tomorrow the program is about heart disease and how to reduce our risk factors. Next week will cover eating healthy and exercising for a healthy heart (a necessary lifestyle change for many), and the 3rd week, handling stress and emotions in heart healthy ways. Should be interesting! I'll let you all know how it goes and share the wisdom I find! ;)

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 9:25pm
I'm looking forward to your sharing your wisdom! That sounds like a program I'd like to attend. With heart issues, I don't really think we can learn 'too' much!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 10:36pm
This first session was mostly us introducing ourselves. There are five of us. Several of the others had spouses or adult daughters with them. One man, older than I, and I, were alone. We all had different "heart events" that happened to us. One man was only in his early 30s. He even walked his lunch hours and hiked on weekends, but he has heart disease in his family, and his cholesterol was high. Others were older or middle aged. The nurse explained with pictures and a short video by the American Heart Association, how the heart works, and what kinds of things can happen, and what happened in each of our cases, and how problems can be fixed. Like you said, being a heart patient is *NOT* a death sentence today, not at all. There is *SO* much they can do now. She said the biggest way we can work toward avoiding other "events" is within our power: change our eating habits and exercise EVERYDAY! That, and use the Rx's our doctors recommend, and get checkups and monitor ourselves at home. Lose weight. Learn how to handle stress in our lives so it doesn't damage us physically. Next week we will be talking about eating heart healthy and starting or building an exercise program. I'm looking forward to that session! :))

We each signed a contract that we would commit to change our lifestyles to more "heart healthy" and after our in person meetings, we will get regular phone calls, blood work for cholesterol checks, and guidance and checking on our exercise routines, for a year. So we can't just come, sit, listen, nod, and then go away and not do anything to change our lives. LOLOL! They will track us and work with us and help support our efforts. They said this was begun some years back and that patients in this health plan, there's a 30% *drop* in heart "events" recurring. They also have health education classes you can take, a library and place to buy books and resources (we got our blood pressure machine there). I'm going to check out what classes they offer, too. :P

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Edited 5/15/2009 10:42 pm ET by gypsywolfwoman

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-17-2009 - 7:19pm

Hi Gypsywolfwoman.... Thanks for sharing. It all sounds very interesting and like something that all cities should make available. I will be asking my Cardiologist if he knows of any here localy where I live. It would be nice if they could pair people up to exercise with too. A littl extra motivation when you are accountable.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

Rhonda in CA