Happy *and* frustrated...

iVillage Member
Happy *and* frustrated...
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 1:23pm
DH & I went out to dinner last night, to celebrate some hard working volunteers at the railroad museum. Went to this restaurant: Market Broiler

Yummy food, and all sorts of choices, from "richer" to more lean choices. I was able to find something yummy but not so calorie/cholesterol intensive: a brochette of salmon & grilled veggies, rice pilaf and fresh sliced tomato. There was celebratory cheesecake, which I haven't eaten in *YEARS!* Oh, so rich, and I savored every single scrumptious bite! ROFL! :P I haven't tried to scope out Weight Watchers points for my journal as yet on that meal, but I know I went over my newly upped points to a daily 30 that I started to stop my weight loss from continuing. I went up 2 lbs. since yesterday's morning weigh-in, but I did that after DH's & my anniversary day of eating out twice, too. Only to drop back down the two pounds the next day. So, who knows what my body is doing? :P

Got emails from both my docs, one saying continuing to lose weight might help with my blood pressure, which is still not down where they want it. The other one saying, *NO!* eat more and stop the weight loss (she wanted me at 170 and I am now about 155). (eyeroll) So, I decided I'd just chart my own course and the heck with it. LOL! :D I am happy at 155, actually, and maybe I'll just try to stay there. Changing that one med that I was on for years, just isn't working as well as the old med did. I wish they'd just go back to the old med, even if it isn't "heart supportive" or whatever, after surgery. Just seems the results aren't that helpful. They added in yet another drug two weeks ago, in the morning, small dose. Still not bringing my BP down where they want it. So, as of yesterday, I am taking a second dose of that one now, too, at dinner time. :O Hopefully that will do the trick, and not give rise to side effects I'm not getting on the lower dosage... :( It's *very* frustrating, given my weight loss to healthy BMI & healthy weight for my height (5'11") and all the exercise (2-1/2 to 3 miles brisk walks, 7 days a week, with my dog), plus the heart surgery, new blood vessels, etc. :(( I had hoped that my heart working at full capacity instead of 30% would mean *LESS* meds, not more. I think I'm becoming one of those "old people" with a bunch of pill bottles and pills to take every day. UGH!

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 9:19pm

I clicked on the Market Broiler link... Looks like a pretty nice place. (I don't eat fish or

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 9:39pm
Sounds like you had a great dinner, I am so jealous of the cheesecake!!! Good luck on whatever you decide, I think 155 at 5'11" sounds like a wonderful weight. Right now I am 152, but I am only 5'4". I have to say that your dog is beautiful too. Well, I am not sure what to say about the doc's. I am so new to all of this stuff!!!
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 10:10pm
HA! I'm only *ONE* pill behind you. I take 11, as I take some in the morning *and* at night, as well as "just" morning or "just" evening ones. :( And I didn't count my supplements and multi vitamin, either, LOL! :D

Since I have been seriously on Weight Watchers and just recently made Lifetime, I am having to learn to eat *more* and I am struggling to learn the balance of it for maintaining my weight now. I will continue to eat mostly on plan, though, very low fat, because they are watching my cholesterol like hawks now that I'm post heart surgery. Since adopting the WW lifestyle, though, my cholesterol is great. :) But I can't go back to full fat cheese, too much red meat (and I buy 96% fat free ground beef, very lean everything else, or I don't buy it or cook it), or full fat dairy or pastries or cheesecakes or chips & dips or, or , or, LOL! :D That's my past life, with high cholesterol and a brush with too high glucose. I can't go back there! I'd damage my nicely fixed up heart! :O

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 10:27pm
That cheesecake was heaven. I like the restaurant because I could find something "heart healthy" with the broiled fish. They have wonderful artery clogging fish pasta dishes, pizzas, and heavy sauces and so forth meals, too. I avoided those. I made a vow to myself to make my Weight Watchers lifestyle change permanent, and with my newly repaired heart, I am *very* motivated to eat healthy, learn to make healthy choices even when eating out for a treat. That doesn't mean that once in a while I won't have a treat, that's for sure, but the portions need to be small and reasonable. And I have to always keep in mind that restaurants do *NOT* serve healthy size portions; instead they generally serve 2-3 servings as a single serving. So that's when left over containers come in handy! :D I also have to remember that my very next meal will be back on plan, low fat, and I keep up with the exercise, etc. And that I must space out the treat foods well. Otherwise I'll undo all the hard work I've just done. :O My Mika dog keeps me moving, though, and we are up over 3 miles, and will soon be back up to our 4 miles/day, 7 days a week, that we were before my surgery. That helps burn off the "treat" foods, too, thank goodness. ;))

I will try the latest change in my dosages and see how it goes, taking my blood pressure several times a day and keeping a chart, then email my docs again. I am not having any side effects, so that is a very good thing. I'll keep asking questions and expecting full explanations and answers. I am lucky I can email my docs, too, and that helps in between in person visits. :P I have told my docs that I want to be as healthy and active as possible and I will work with them re Rx's to accomplish that. BUT! I will NOT risk my mental abilities and function and if that goes, keeping the body alive is NOT what I want. DH and DD know this, too. So at this time in my life, I am very adamant about what I will and will not accept or do as regards taking medications or risking procedures. My doctors understand, too. I've had to think about all of this, at this stage of my life, and I'm OK with it. :)

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 12:12pm
Well, in getting input from my Weight Watchers leader, also, we decided to up my daily points even more, to stop the weight loss and have me maintain. I can't believe I need all this more food since surgery! :O But I'm thinking it's not just the 90+ min. daily walks with my Mika dog that is causing me to continue to lose weight. I think my body's metabolism is also higher because of the heart surgery. I'm still very much in the recovery/physical healing stage, so my body is working hard at that, as well as in my daily long walks. I dropped weight again Sunday morning, not quite a pound. This morning, I regained those oz. YAY! LOL! :P I never thought I'd be raving about gaining vs. losing. ROFL! :D So, we'll see how this all goes... On Thursday I have the next session of the Multifit class, and it's focus is heart healthy diet and exercise, and how changing these in our lifestyles can support not only our recovery from heart surgeries and "events," but also prevent future "events" or at least reduce their occurrence as well as severity. I'm going to ask if surgery can raise metabolism, as I think is happening with me... I'll let you all know what they say. :P My Cardiologist did confirm in email to my question about weight loss after surgery, that it is something he has seen a lot, so he isn't surprised nor concerned. I didn't ask him about metabolism increases, though. So, I'll ask that question at Thursday's Multifit session.

Blessings,

Gypsy

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 12:26pm
Yes! Please do let us know what you learn!

Photobucket