Chest Pains

iVillage Member
Chest Pains
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 1:25am

I am a 24 year old female who has always been relativity healthy minus a few issues. For the last 6 days I have had bad chest pains in the left side of my chest and sometimes in the middle as well. My heart will start pounding so hard i can actually see my chest moving with every beat, As well as every pulse point on my body is pounding too. I start to find it very hard to breathe which is cause of the pain. Every once and a while I get really shaky too. I checked my beats per minute and they were 110 each time I checked.

I know its not a panic attack as I have had them in the past and this is very different. I also recently found out that heart problems run in my family. Mainly high blood pressure. Although my grandfather did have a massive heart attack and had to get bypass surgery a few years back.

I went to the doctor yesterday and all he did was give me an ativan and told me to come back the following day (today) the ativan did nothing, didn't think it would.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what their outcome was?

Any help would be great

iVillage Member
In reply to: misstara84
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 12:59pm

Welcome misstara84. Glad you found us. When did you last have a complete physical? I think it's important that you see a good doctor soon and get your heart checked good. Be sure that they pay attention to your heart. Not to scare you, but pain in the chest &

iVillage Member
In reply to: misstara84
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 10:24pm

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the board, Misstara84!!! My first response would be to see your doctor asap. Not all chest pain and not all racing pulses mean a heart issue, so I truly hope that won't be the diagnosis. Normally the heart beats between 60-100 times per minute. In people who exercise routinely or take medications that slow the heart, the rate may drop below 55 beats per minute. If your heart rate is very fast (over 100 beats per minute), this is called tachycardia.

Tachycardia is a general term for a variety of different conditions that cause the heart to beat more than 100 times per minute. There are two general forms of tachycardia. Click HERE to read more. (There is also a video on the page.)

You need tests and you need to ask questions. Seems to me your doctor just kind of blew off your concerns. Don't allow that to happen. You have a right to insist that something further (rather than the Ativan) be done. You definitely have a problem of some sort, regardless if it's serious or not.

Let us know how you're doing okay? We feel empathy for others who have been through what we have!

Always take good care of YOU!

With Heart Hugs, Geri

Photobucket