Daily aspirin may do more harm than good

iVillage Member
Daily aspirin may do more harm than good
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 12:42pm

Daily aspirin may do more harm than good: study

LONDON (AFP) – Healthy people taking a daily dose of aspirin to prevent heart attacks may be doing themselves more harm than good, according to a new study by British scientists.

Researchers found that the risks of bleeding from taking aspirin were such that its routine use in healthy people "cannot be supported" -- although they did not dispute its use in patients with a history of vascular problems.

READ MORE http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090831/hl_afp/healthresearchheartbritain

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 1:59pm
""The findings of this study agree with our current advice that people who do ***not*** have symptomatic or diagnosed artery or heart disease should ***not*** take aspirin, because the risks of bleeding may outweigh the benefits." (***are mine, for emphasis)

Well, hmmmm... "Healthy people." I consider myself a healthy person these days, having taken off the excess weight, walking daily for exercise, eating a low fat healthy diet, and having 3 new vessels in my heart that are unclogged. :P Yes, I still take blood pressure meds, but my blood pressure is well regulated. I don't see my doc for six months now, and my cardiologist doesn't need to see me back at all unless I have any problems. So, hmmmm? This quote actually seems to be saying, in my understanding, anyway, that people *WITHOUT* diagnosed heart or artery disease, are the ones who should *NOT* be taking daily aspirin. So it doesn't even apply for those of us having heart/artery disease, whose doctors tell us to take a daily minimal 81mg daily dose. So, I'm a little confused as to the usefulness of the study and its results, for me, anyway. :O

I *do* wonder, though, about the push of statins on people as well as the low aspirin dosage, is really necessary for everyone... There's a drug for just about everything, plus *more* drugs to counteract the side effects of other drugs we are taking. (shaking head) Are we getting to be "too drugged up," to our long term detriment?

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Edited 8/31/2009 2:03 pm ET by gypsywolfwoman

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(